(Closed) Couple recycles 400,000 cans to pay for wedding

posted 7 years ago in Money
Post # 3
1184 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

This is awesome! They didn’t have to go into debt to pay for their wedding… I wonder if the bride will join weddingbee to get some diy ideas?

Post # 4
1805 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

I am so doing that!!!  Thanks for sharing this link!  I’m going to ask everyone to save cans for me, and put them in some sort of bin in the back.  There are half a dozen metal recycling places near my house… and heck, even if it’s only a couple hundred bucks, it all adds up!

Post # 5
3068 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

My friend recently did this too! She and her FI had absoltuely no money and both of their aprents lost their jobs. The would wake up at 3am and hit every grocery store trash can and collect cans and bottles. They have been doing it for 15 months and just recently got married! They were able to get about $4000 which was perfect for their little hotel wedding. Now their saving up for a honeymoon! LOL.

On a side note, My FI and I recycle monthly (just our own cans and co-workers that dotnate it to us) and have saved $400 for our florist deposit 🙂

Post # 6
1805 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

Tessemasgirl;  how long has it taken you to come up with the $400?

That’s awesome!  We recycle too, but not for money… just with our city’s recycling program.  Too lazy to sort it in the past but not any more after reading this!  We aren’t huge consumers of canned drinks but I know enough canned beer drinkers to hit up! Wink

I wish bottles were worth cash here in Texas.  Used to be but not anymore!

Post # 7
2829 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

This makes me want to be a better green crusader/ bugdet savvy bride (read: I want to/would totally do this!).

It’s too bad my town only recycles glass 🙁

boo small town fail!

Post # 8
2829 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

doublepost fail! sorry!

Post # 9
3068 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

@msinterpret We made $400 in about 2 months. All my coworkers save me their cans and my work has set up a recycle bin in the break room that they allow me to take as well. It is definitely helping.

Post # 10
762 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

In MI we get 10 cents for every bottle or can we return. That’s a good incentive.

The topic ‘Couple recycles 400,000 cans to pay for wedding’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors