Couture Bridesmaids Dresses custom made under $200!!! Is that too much to $$?

posted 3 years ago in Bridesmaids
  • poll: How much did your "Maids" dresses cost?
    under $50 : (7 votes)
    8 %
    $50-100 : (17 votes)
    19 %
    $100-120 : (13 votes)
    15 %
    $120-160 : (15 votes)
    17 %
    $160-200 : (19 votes)
    21 %
    over $200 : (13 votes)
    15 %
    over $300 : (4 votes)
    4 %
    over $500 : (1 votes)
    1 %
  • Post # 3
    1893 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2014 - Dallas, TX

This is about on par with what I’ve seen for nice bridesmaids dresses. Personally, I’m going to try to find less expensive dresses for my bridesmaids because the last time I was in a wedding at the dresses were close to $200 everyone accepted it but grumbled. However, the fact that it is custom made for each girl’s body is pretty cool and helps justify the price!

Post # 4
    1259 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

I don’t think it is unreasonable!

Post # 5
    11772 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: May 2013

I think that is a KILLER deal! And I would LOVE to own that dress as a BM!

Post # 6
    920 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2015

I think it’s too much personally. That dress is probably a really good deal. However I can’t imagine asking my bridesmaids to pay almost $200 for a dress. They would probably resent me and be upset about it. I think $100 and under is more than enough!

To add, the $30-$60 you are figuring for alterations for the DB dress might not be true for everyone. The last dress I got there didn’t need any alterations. 

Post # 7
    920 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2015

Did you ask the opinions of the BM on the dress? If 2 of them wear a woman’s size 28, you should definitely make sure that dress will make them feel comfortable and beautiful. And also that the seamstress can make the sizes for them. 

Post # 8
    1463 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

@highschoolhoneys:  I’ve been a fuller-figured woman in the past (think size 24) and I would not have been comfortable wearing this type of dress.  Have you checked with all your bridesmaids to make sure they are on board with it?

Post # 9
    2565 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

Only your bridesmaids can answer this question.  For some people, $175 on a dress they will wear once is ok but for others it is overbudget.  I think for what you are getting it is a good price, but only your girls will be able to tell you if it is too much for them.

ETA: just saw two are plus sized, not sure this dress will be the mos flattering on them.

Post # 10
    931 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

As a plus sized gal, this would not work on me and I would feel like a giant silver blob.  Ask your girls what they think with this, and while you are at it ask that price point they are comfortable with.

Post # 11
    2189 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2017

I think it’s on the higher end but still doable. However being plus sized it doesn’t look like it would be flattering at all. Have your bridesmaids seen it?

Post # 12
    4382 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

It seems like a reasonable price for custom made however the form fitting slinky material may not work for your plus sized bridesmaids. It will show everything!!! I would not be comfortable in a dress like this 

Post # 13
    1248 posts
    Bumble bee

i do not think this style will compliment your girls in size 28s. That fabric will show every lump, bump, and dimple. it is not flattering at all. i wear a size 8 & wouldn’t want to wear that dress.

Post # 15
    518 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

I hate to say it but I agree with PPs that you may want to run this by your BMs — I’m an 8 and would never want to wear a dress like this that would show evvvverything.  I think you may want to consider a thicker fabric.  Price-point….depends on your maids; I have certainly paid more than $175 for BM dresses, so I don’t think it’s unreasonable.

Post # 16
    931 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

@Anonette:  That still would not work at all.  Boning is also very funny on plus sized people, we are a bit more “squishy” and things just don’t always work the same with us.  Just check, they might be okay with it.  But looking at the comments I’m not the only one concerned here.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors