(Closed) Cricut or Silhouette? MakeTheCut & SureCutsAlot don’t support Cricut! Help!

posted 7 years ago in DIY
Post # 3
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

Why not buy an older Cricut (I have the Expression and I love it) used or on clearance and get Sure Cuts A Lot? I love my SCAL! I wouldn’t have a Cricut if I couldn’t use that program.

Post # 4
405 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2011 - Mackinaw Valley Vineyard; Bloomington Center for the Performing Arts

I got my Cricut on Black Friday for a great deal (~50% off) and bought SCAL2 and I love it.  I’m with bakerella, I would not have bought the Cricut without the software, those cartridges are too expensive for me.  Without Illustrator, I’m not sure how much I would use SCAL because I like to make my own designs, so it probably depends on what you’re wanting to use the Cricut for.  There are a lot of blogs and websites that offer free svg files to use in SCAL too if you’re not keen on making your own.

I don’t know much about the Silhouette so I can’t offer any insight.  Just shop around and get more opinions!

Post # 5
405 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2011 - Mackinaw Valley Vineyard; Bloomington Center for the Performing Arts

I should add, I saw that SCAL 3 doesn’t work with the Cricut (I don’t know why not), but you can still buy SCAL 2 if you want the program.

Post # 8
405 posts
Helper bee

@mandigrl04:At least according to this store you can!  

Post # 10
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

@mspony: What in the world does SCAL3 work for if it doesn’t work with a Cricut?! That’s ridiculous.

Post # 12
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

@mandigrl04: Oohhhhhh. I bought my expression and stopped looking at any other machine 😉

Post # 13
72 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

Provocraft (makers of Cricut) has recently settled a law suit with MTC (“Make the Cut”) and is now in the process of suing SCAL (“Sure Cuts A Lot”) as well, alleging as they did with the MTC suit, that the software for Cricut machines illegally circumvented copyright protection on Provo Craft’s products and violated copyright on the company’s Cricut Design Studio software code.

Under the settlement, MTC is permanently and immediately disallowed from selling software that is compatible in any way with Cricut machines. The company is also required to destroy all copies of the software’s Cricut-related source code.

It seems that SCAL has taken some proactive steps, possibly in anticipation a similar outcome, by recently releasing SCAL3 without Cricut support (it will not cut on a Cricut) and by announcing that they will only continue to support SCAL2 on a Cricut until the end of the year; the software will continue to work on your Cricut – as long as you do not update it’s firmware or update SCAL –  but SCAL will no longer offer support after Jan. 1, 2012.

If you are interested, here is a link to Provocraft’s offical statement;

http://www.cricut.com/statement/ 

If you only cut with a Cricut, there is no reason to install SCAL3, especially since it will not cut with the Cricut.  If you are wanting SCAL3 for another cutter, you can install both 2 and 3 as separate programs.

Since there is not an offical ruling on the lawsuit, you can still buy SCAL2, either from Craft Edge or a dealer if you do not have a problem with paying for a piece of software that “may” be in violation of copy right laws;) Once the decision comes down, it is HIGHLY likely that you will no longer be able to purchase SCAL2 …so if you want it…now is the time:)

Post # 15
72 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

Apparently, you now only have until May 27, 2011 to buy SCAL2 for use with your Cricut.  The following message was sent by Craft Edge to it’s Afflilates:

“This is to provide notice that, as of May 13, 2011, Craft Edge Inc.
has agreed to stop selling, offering to sell or distributing its
software product, Sure Cuts A Lot™ major versions 1.0 and 2.0, in
accordance with the terms of a confidential settlement agreement
entered into with Provo Craft and Novelty, Inc. The litigation between
Provo Craft and Craft Edge will be terminated with all claims
dismissed. To ensure compliance with this settlement, Craft Edge
requests that all our distributors, partners and affiliates completely
stop selling, offering for sale or distributing these versions by no
later than May 27, 2011

Craft Edge greatly appreciates and values its relationship with you
and desires to work together now to close one chapter of that
relationship and open a new one. We will continue to provide quality
software for our shared customers in Sure Cuts A Lot™ version 3.0
and beyond.”

Post # 16
572 posts
Busy bee

I have a Silhouette and I love it. It has a trace feature and you buy files instead pf cartridges. No extra software needed.

The topic ‘Cricut or Silhouette? MakeTheCut & SureCutsAlot don’t support Cricut! Help!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors