- 6 years ago
- Wedding: April 2013
I am writing this post out of the sheer joy I feel at the present moment. It seemed like forces were working against us as far as setting a wedding date went, and now I can gladly say we have a date that requires NO more changing.
It all started back when we got engaged in November 2011. FI and I decided that because I was in my last year of university, that I would focus solely on school and start planning after I graduate in August 2012; so logistically we thought November 2013 would be perfect. We decided to set our date for November 2, 2013 because we got engaged on the 4th and we wanted it to be close to the proposal date, and on a Saturday. Well that day is FI’s brother’s birthday we came to realize, and although he was fine with us having our wedding on that day, we decided to push it back to the 9th just to give him his special day without us taking away from it at all.
Fast foward to March: we had the venue, church, videographer, photographer, dress, limo, invitations, hair, etc. all picked out and booked/purchased. Turns out that I was too excited to concentrate solely on school and was avidly wedding planning on the side. In the 4 short months we had been engaged, I seemed to get a lot of planning accomplished. That influenced us to make the decision to move up our Fall date to Spring of 2013. Since we live in Canada and our winters can be quite rough, we decided on March; the 30th to be exact. We were so excited and rearranged everything with our venue and other vendors, except for the church (our mistake). When we called them yesterday, they let us know that it is Easter weekend! Nobody realized out of the 50 or so people we talked to that it is Easter weekend. We had even confirmed the date on Facebook (another mistake). Anyway most churches we came to find out, refuse to marry anyone from Palm Sunday until Easter Sunday, our church included. Our church also said they wouldn’t marry anyone throughout lent as well. This caused me to go into panic mode.
I called the venue right away and notified the rep about the date conflict. She let us know that all other dates in March were taken except for the 23rd and all dates in April were taken except possibly the 13th as it was reserved but had no deposit. She said she would let us know the next day if it were available.
Well today (being the next day) she called to inform us that the date was in fact taken. I felt sad because although we were fine with March 23, it was still during lent and Palm Sunday was the next day; so for religious reasons we started hoping for the April availability as our chosen church would not marry us. We would have to look for a new church.
About 10 minutes later we got the phone call that they had April 6th available! Apparently there was a fundraiser event on that evening and they rescheduled on the 30th, which means our wedding plans only needed to be pushed back one weekend and we get to keep our desired church. I’m very excited and wanted to share the happy news, because yesterday I was feeling a little hopeless about ever finding the right date for us.
Any other bees go through similar a experience?