(Closed) Death of Wedding Magazines Modern Bride & Elegant Bride

posted 8 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 3
7976 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

yeah, that’s a pretty basic point you’ll hear made in any print media course nowadays (well, for the past several years, actually, since magazines have been dying for a while now).

Media markets are expanding, and the media that can’t keep up won’t survive.

Newspapers are probably next; with the introduction of readers like Amazon’s Kindle, books won’t be too far behind (although they’ll probably retain some usage, at least for the next 50-100 years).

Post # 4
1120 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

Maybe I’m in the minority and don’t fully understand the consequences of this trend, but I’m fine with it. I bought wedding magazines when I was first engaged, and started poking around on the internet for information. I quickly found that for me the most useful information came from blogs and boards on sites like this one, indiebride, etc. Many of the magazines contained more ads than useful information, and the same basic ideas were repeated (“100 new ways to make your reception unique” that really weren’t that unique at all, etc.). 

The magazines were fun to look at, but I ended up flipping through them while I waited in the checkout line, and went to blogs and boards for my real info because I found the internet more practical. I can post questions and interact with others on the boards, which is something I can’t do with the magazines. When I was planning, this was much more useful for me. I suspect this is the same for other groups as well.

Post # 5
530 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

the death throes of print media is really a huge crisis when you’re talking about more serious issues…. or any topic where facts matter. where knowing the source of information matters. (for instance: where did your “facts” about some medical pandemic, say, come from? who says it’s true? did any independent person check that “fact”? when “news” comes from bloggers, there’s a really huge problem with tracing sources. big, big, big deal. newspapers and reputable magazines have paid the cost — shouldered the burden — of checking what’s true and what’s not, from public health issues, to science reporting, to news, to politics…. we don’t really ever think about that, do we? and if these newspapers and magazines close, and are replaced by, say Jane Doe blogger with an opinion and a big moouth, how is a reader to judge the validity of a story? what’s truth? what’s opinion? what’s just a dangerous mistake/myth that circulates and circulates and circulates…? ) 

course bridal magazines have NEVER been a hotbed of factual, unbiased reporting!

(bridal magazines are stuffed with BS, in my opinion. would they ever really examine/expose bridal-markup? apparently never.)

but it’s just sad that these institutions are falling like dominos.

i worked for many years for the company in question, and it’s a sad day.

note: Gourmet magazine’s death knell was tolled this week, too. now THAT is a HUGE bummer. decades of history, and great service…. gone.

Post # 6
1084 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

I understand how it’s a big change and all but for me wedding magazines didn’t really do much.  Pretty pictures but little content and I don’t always mind advertisers because you are going to buy something for the wedding but they just all looked like everyone was selling the exact same thing, just not enough variety to see different styles.  I was never into wedding planning until I started to find blogs and realized there’s lots of fun ways to make the wedding your own and you’re not crazy for trying to add your own little twists.  And it’s so easy with the internet to not just look at a few pictures, but instead to find a style you like and go on a hunt.  Martha Stewart is in a different class for me though.  Somehow she adds such creativity to everything, if I was going on an airplane and wanted to flip through something, her wedding magazines were what I’d pick. 

Post # 7
1498 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

The problem with most wedding magazines is that they aren’t in fact ‘fresh’ or creative.  I picked up a magazine the other day that had an article ‘off the runway’, but the dresses were ones I’ve seen over and over again.  I just think digital media, with the exception of a few good magazines like Real Simple Weddings and Martha Stewart Weddings, actually gives the most current and relevant information for those planning a wedding.

Post # 8
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Wedding magazines aside, I don’t want to lose any of the other magazines I subscribe to! Healthy Cooking, Women’s Fitness, Self, Glamour, etc etc.

I’m more worried about losing my every-day magazines that i’ve loved for YEARS. What will I read at the gym? In the bathtub? Teheee. Yes, i read magazines while I take a bath! I like the layouts and flipping through them.

I don’t want to HAVE to be tied to a digital computer screen 24/7. Don’t we get enough of that at work? Information on the itnernet can be overwhelming and suck you in for hours…i really just want a magazine!

The topic ‘Death of Wedding Magazines Modern Bride & Elegant Bride’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors