Deciding a date! 2015 vs 2016

posted 3 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
20 posts
Newbee

It sounds like you have a very busy life right now, why add wedding stress to the mix? Do yourself a favour and give yourself the time. You don’t want to regret having the wedding earlier.

Post # 4
1259 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

@lthompson07281990:  I think it depends on what type of wedding you’re going for. A small, easy wedding can be done in that short amount of time (although it will probably still be stressful). If you want a large, detailed wedding with lots of elements to it, go for 2016.

Giving yourself more time (2016) can’t hurt anything. My FI and I got engaged in 2012 and we’re getting married next weekend! So we gave ourselves 2 years (we aren’t crazy budy besides work but we wanted to give ourselves at least a year to save up).

Good luck!

Post # 5
248 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

I had to make the same sort of decision – you have to either compromise on the sort of wedding you have, or on the date, IMHO.

I changed our 80+ people wedding in my hometown, to a DW with 4 guests so that I had waaay less planning and worrying to do (and it suits us better as a couple). My MA won’t finish until Fall 2015, and our wedding is currently in August 2015. If I didn’t make our wedding smaller, it would have needed a lot more time credited to it, and it would probably have been moved to early 2016.

Post # 6
804 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@lthompson07281990:  I think fall of 2015 is plenty away – especially since you will have less on your plate after 2014.

Post # 7
392 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

@lthompson07281990:  Take it from someone who’s wedding is in 4 months… We got engaged 2012, 2014 seemed logical, FI would be done with school and everything would be fine… He’s been working 2 dead end jobs for a few months now because he couldn’t find one in his field. I wish we gave ourselves a few months extra for emergency! I think you should plan for early 2016, and then early 2015, if everything is going the way you want and you’re looking for a venue, then maybe you can talk about having it late 2015? There’s a lot of things I did early on in the engagement; if I had waited, we could’ve pushed the wedding forward a few months and it would be fine. Nothing needs to be finalized untill 2 weeks before (well somethings) but I would your vendors. tell them you have 2 dates in mind and if most aren’t available for your 2015 date, then 2016 might be the answer. 

Sorry that was long. Im just upset that FI has worked 5 night shifts in a row and we have to reschedule the tux appointment again because he needs sleep. 

Post # 8
518 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I’ll go against the grain here.  I’d shoot myself if I had to wedding plan for 2-3 years….I’d rather have a shorter timeframe and just get it done!  I enjoy wedding planning, but not for three years.  I’m ready to have my life back and we’re only having a 10 month engagement!  Life’s always going to be busy.  If it’s not this, it’s that.  🙂

Post # 9
3280 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I’d go with the sooner one. I’m a full time student, working, and doing clinicals and the wedding planning really hasn’t been that stressful. You’d have over a year and a half, that’s plentyyy of time. Our engagement is 19 months and the wait is miserable. 

Post # 10
594 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2014 - Nazareth Hall

I think a Fall 2015 wedding would be perfect. There is a lot to plan, but not as much as one would think unless you plan on DIY-ing a lot. Fall 2015 still gives you a full 19 months if you get married in September and there really isn’t much to do once you have the big stuff out of the way until 6 months before

Post # 11
4596 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

I am kind of in the same boat. I just got engaged, and have started thinking of venues and a timeline for events. I’d like to do Fall this year, but with everything I already have planned going on this summer, I think adding planning a wedding may be too hectic. So, then I’m looking at spring/early summer 2015 – and that just seems SO far away – but, would allow me to give 100% of my focus on the wedding and know that everything I want to do can be done. I’ve been waiting 33 years for this moment, and I want to know that I’ve done it the best I can.

Post # 13
4483 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

How do you expect your life to change over the next 1.5 years? I’m currently working 2 part time jobs while doing a Master’s, but I should graduate this December. My employment situation will almost definitely change as well. Those were things we factored in when picking a date, since I wanted to be done school first. We also could live on just his income and some savings if we had to while I’m job hunting.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors