(Closed) Deep tissue massage hurt worse than my tetanus shot! (long & vent)

posted 7 years ago in Wellness
Post # 3
5496 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2010

Ouch!! That’s awful! I’ve had spa massages before and they never hurt. (Once in a while, a tiny bit of pain, but that’s it). It sounds like she was way too rough. So sorry you had a bad, bad experience.  Just curious-are there reviews for the place on the internet? If there are, I’d be curious to see what other people wrote. Sorry you didn’t enjoy it. 🙁

Post # 4
1260 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I am so sorry your first ever spa day was such a crappy experience! Let me assure you, when a spa day is GOOD, you get all those nice feelings you thought you would have. That being said, a couple of things came to mind reading your post:

1) Was the person performing your massage a Registered Massage Therapist (RMT) or simply a person who received training in massage for spa therapy? If you just want a nice relaxation massage, spa therapists do a great job, but for things like deep tissue, I usually only trust an RMT.

2)You are right, communication was lacking on her part. But if I were you, I would have whimpered more than “ow”. Spa massages aren’t cheap, and if they were hurting me, I would have let her know it, and if she continued to hurt me, stop the massage or ask for a different therapist. Sometimes spa massages can run as high as $100 or more an hour, so I am not going to pay someone $100 plus tip to destroy my back.

3) Sometimes, deep tissue massage DOES feel uncomfortable, becuase they use firm pressue to release pressure points in the deeper tissues of the body. When deep tissue massage is performed correctly by an RMT, there are some points where you may experience discomfort, but never the kind of pain  you describe.  What it really sounds like is you wanted a nice relaxation massage (where they use light pressure).

Hopefully the info I have given you can help you make a more informed choice the next time you choose to spa (and I hope you do, they are so great, I PROMISE!). It sucks that you and your friend had that horrible experience. I would review the spa on YELP so that others can avoid this lady!

Post # 5
3176 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Ugh that sucks! My mom is a massage therapist who works through a doctors office so her massages tend to be a little harder and can hurt, but she knows I am a baby and unless I have a specific issue she gives me the light and fluffy. My point is that a professional should be able to provide the type of massage you want. And she should KNOW how much pressure to apply, it should never be THAT intensly painful. Sorry you had such a yucky time!!

Post # 6
3126 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

After I was in a car accident (rear ended at full speed while stopped- ow!) I needed some PT, including massage therapy for my back. Oh My GOODNESS those deep tissue massages hurt. I went home feeling like garbage, even if I went in feeling ok. I think that if you go again, be sure to clarify what kind of massage you want. I think you’ll be happy with a regular massage. Deep tissue can really get you! Make sure to pop an advil next time 45 mins before you go to your appointment.

Post # 8
3098 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

Deep tissue massages really DO hurt! So, so bad… and for days!! Drink a TON of water – really, do it! Next time (don’t let it scare you away!) ask for a stress relief massage – deep tissue isn’t a relaxtion massage! 🙂

Post # 10
2682 posts
Sugar bee

Did you ASK for the deep tissue massage or did you ask for a regular or relaxation massage?  They are completely different and deep tissue massages are almost supposed to hurt because its so much pressure to get knots and kinks out.  I got a deep tissue one because I was in such pain after working on my feet for an entire weekend walking about 45 miles total.  It hurt like hell but I knew I needed it.  Alot of the time, deep tissue massages are used by athletes, dancers, etc. The massage therapist even asked if I was a dancer because he said most people that arent dancers or athletes cant handle that much pressure.

I wouldnt never not get a masage again, you just had bad experience.  Ask for a relaxation massage or a regular massage and dont be afraid to speak up if it hurts.  They are asking you to tell them if the touch is too light or too hard for a reason.  And even if they dont ask, you should feel comfortable to tell them.

The topic ‘Deep tissue massage hurt worse than my tetanus shot! (long & vent)’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors