Post # 1
Sorry this is a bit long.. I got laid off from my previous job a couple months ago and have been actively looking for another since. It’s been tough and frustrating (very competitive) but now its finally changing. Right now I have been interviewed for several jobs lately, a couple that are getting really close to the end. There are three jobs that are coming up that might have an offer soon.. But I’m wondering how to delay a job offer for the other to see what my options are? I don’t want to rush into it and agreeing, then regretting it and declining it. It’s kinda nice to have this problem since its been hard, but I don’t want to make the wrong decision.
Job A – For a well known employer that is a apart of a larger corporation, so there could be a longer future there. I have been through all the interviews here, and I just filled out the paperwork for them to do the reference and background check on me today which takes a couple days to complete. No offer yet and I don’t know what the pay is or anything. I think they offer better benefits since they are a Top 50 employer. Yet this job is a bit further away from home, about a 40 minute commute. This one is getting close to the end, and I think they want this person to start in two weeks.
Job B – A small family orientated company that is close to my home, like 10-15 minutes away. Technically its a one year maternity leave, but they are growing so there is a possibility for it to become pernament. Casual work environment, all friendly, and interesting industry. I went for an interview yesterday and they called me again today for a second interview tomorrow with a panel of 4 key executives.. (Which I am nervous about). I already know what the pay is (its decent) and talked about the benefits a little but I don’t think the benefits are going to match to job A (and I didn’t probe them for more info yet). I think they want this person to start ASAP like next week. So this is where I am concerned the most is if everything tomorrow goes well they might make an offer but I don’t want to quite accept it yet until I hear from the other one.
Job C – A job through a recruiter, I went for a first interview last week and then they said they want me to come in for a second one soon. However, I don’t know when since they are moving a bit slow because they want to make sure they make the right choice. The job is close to my home again and the pay is really good (better than B), but I don’t know what the benefits are like. The people seem nice, its a small family orientated company again, but the industry isn’t interesting (power conversion). I am also a bit concerned that there is one part of the job I can’t do that well (graphic design) so its not a guarantee that I will get the job.. But they have expressed interest in me..
So what should I do? If the company wants to offer you the job, should you delay it? If so, what should you say? Or is it not recommended because then you don’t seem eager/excited for their opportunity? Also they can always go with another applicant since there are so many job seekers out there and they interviewed several people. But I am not the type of person to take a job and quit after a week because the other company offered me the better job.
Since out of all the jobs, I’d say I am most interested in Job A/C (even though C is taking longer, and I don’t know the $$ for A).. B seems good but maybe not compared to the others. And I have another interview with a totally different company (just got a call now) soon.. Your feedback? Thanks!
Post # 3
OH man, that sounds super-tough! And you’re right, after what you’ve been through it is kinda nice to have this problem.
I really have no advice other than to hope that all 3 offer you the job on the same day!!!
Post # 4
If you are offered a job, tell them that you are thrilled but that you would like some time to consider the offer. Get in touch with the other companies and say you are very excited in their positions but that another company has made you an offer, so can they please let you know (a) if you are still in consideration, and (b) if yes, if a decision can be accelerated. These are all professional things to say, so don’t stress over it too much!
Post # 5
I JUST went through this.
Last Friday, my #1 choice offered me a job but didn’t send an offer letter. On Monday, my #2 choice offered me a job and DID send a letter. I told job #2 I’d need some time to consider the offer, then asked #1 to please have HR contact me so I’d have something concrete before declining the other position. Once HR contacted me and assured me that the letter was in the works and would be out that afternoon, I felt confident telling my #2 choice that I had decided to go in a different direction.
Don’t let an employer pressure you into making an on-the-spot decision. A professional organization will give you two or three days.
Post # 6
@philabride2bee said exactly what I was going to say. This is a completely normal thing for companies to hear and is not unprofessional in the slightest. Good luck!
Post # 7
Whew thanks bees, that makes me feel better. The second interview for Job B is today so if it goes well (who knows) then I don’t feel so bad that I will request for a couple days to think about it. So maybe I can get back to them after the weekend. I asked Job A what the salary range was for the position I am waiting on but no reply yet. But I am kinda second doing guessing that.. Since I know typically I never bring up salary/benefits discussion until the offer talks happen.. Because they probably want to see what my background check comes up with.. But on the other hand I hate for all this work to happen and find out they are offering lower than I expected.. (Which might be the case..) Hope I don’t miss out on both 😛 See what happens by the end of today maybe.
Post # 8
my FI just went through something similar. he had to tell some of the companies that they’ll need to wait for his response becasue he has other interviews.
the result? it made one company nervous and they upped their offer!
as for the small company thing: personally, I’ve only worked for small companies and I love them. however, for my past employers: one company went out of business, one is struggling, and one got bought out and the local office ended up closing as a result. this all happened after I left them, but still– small companies are less stable.
Post # 9
Well the second interview went well, no offer though because they were interviewing someone else after me. Should know in the next day or two their decision. It wasn’t as scary as I expected and had a good feeling about it..
I actually found out that Job A pays less than Job B (the one I went to today). Which doesn’t make my decision easier.. Bah.. Because Job A has a better benefits package I believe, but lower salary.. (Have to ask if its negotiatable or if you get yearly raises or increases??) But that one is further away from home, but is a permanent role. Job B now pays better, is closer to home, but is a one year maternity leave (possibility to be pernament), I don’t think as good benefits, and the smaller company with a casual atmosphere.
Actually all my previous jobs have been with small companies. I don’t totally mind it but I agree the stability isn’t there. It is nice to have the “family orientated” small company feel where you know everyone.. But one company I was with went bankrupt when they didn’t get their funding.. One was a temporary non profit organization that was a contract only.. and the other was small with no opportunities for advancement or growth and got laid off.. Which was too bad.