Post # 1
My hubby and I are starting to look at buying a home and I’m freaking out a bit because finding one that has been de-leaded seems to be harder than I thought. What is the process for de-leading a home? How much does it cost? And do you need to worry about that only when you have kids, or when you are pregnant too? Any insight much appreciated!
Post # 3
How old of a house are you looking at? Lead paint has been banned since the late 1970’s. So if you buy a newer house you’re ok. If you’re still worried, you can have the soil tested.
Post # 4
I live in Boston where most properties were built way before the 1970s
Post # 5
The biggest risk comes from ingesting lead paint chips or dust. So you really only have to worry about yourself if you are sanding down lead paint. For children, they tend to eat the paint chips when the paint is chipping and they pick up the chips and eat them, or if they are teething and their crib/toys/window sills/etc have lead paint and they chew on them.
So you can minimize the risk by wearing a mask and cleaning up well when you sand, preventing children from chewing on lead painted surfaces, and making sure to maintain painted surfaces so they don’t chip.
Post # 6
Hi we bought a house that was built in 1900! Suffice it to say, it has lead paint like woah. According to the government, you can just paint over areas with lead paint and it will seal it in making it safe. Since we have so much painted wood, like on bottoms of walls and top (crown-molding…spelling?) we are just going to paint over it. You’re supposed to scrape off any peeling/flaking parts though. We are going to replace the windows at some point because that is the most likely area where kids can get lead poisoning because the windows slide up and down causing lead dust and chipping. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions and Good luck on the house hunt!