Deliver in a hospital that delivers 3,000 or 7,000 babies a year?

posted 3 years ago in Babies
  • poll: Which hospital would you choose?
    Hospital that delivers 3,000 babies a year : (37 votes)
    82 %
    Hospital that delivers 7,000 babies a year : (8 votes)
    18 %
  • Post # 3
    7997 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2013

3,000 and 7,000 are comparable figures in my mind.

If you said one delivers 300 and one delivers 7,000 then I would probably go to the larger one. Sounds like both know what they are doing!

I would make a decision on other factors.

Post # 6
    2179 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: March 2024

Since they both deliver a large number of babies, have the same level NICU and other comparables I would go with the smaller hospital that I’d have a private room and hopefully more personalized care.

I know I wouldn’t want to share a room after birth and not have that family bonding time alone.

Post # 7
    350 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: December 2014

@Reign14:  I work at a hospital that does 3,000 deliveries a year and choose not to work at a bigger hospital that does more because I want to have more personal time with my patients.  The number of deliveries is no where as important as NICU, level III status, 24/7 doctor in house, etc.  And trust me, you will want a private postpartum room.

Do you honestly want to share a bathroom with another bleeding postpartum mom? No. Plus, when you share rooms, you have to deal with the other patient’s family visiting.

You are more likely to get more 1 on 1 time with the smaller hospital.  

Post # 8
    545 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

@Reign14:  A guaranteed private post-partum room would be a huge benefit in my mind. I want to have peace to recover physically and emotionally and for establishing breast-feeding. I’d also want to be able to keep my baby in my room at all times, is this an option if you don’t have a private room?

Post # 9
    3677 posts
    Sugar bee

I would start by choosing your provider and then figuring out the hospital based on where s/he delivers. Finding the right provider is the critically important piece of the puzzle, in my opinion.

Post # 10
    7997 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2013

@Reign14:  See, that would be a huge factor for me… having a private postpartum room. I really value privacy.

Post # 12
    350 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: December 2014

@Reign14:  I think to be level III they must have a doctor in house, so you should be okay.

Post # 15
    1691 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

@Reign14:  Meh. I’d say once you’re talking 1000+ babies per year, the difference doesn’t mean anything. It’s not like the staff themselves are more experienced… you can only do so much in a day. There’s just more staff. and I don’t think you will get more personal care. Nurse to patient ratios are more important than anything else in terms of personal care. Everything is relative. If you can, visit both and check out their statistics.

Post # 16
    5544 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: December 2011

I would pick the private post partum room. Hospital rooms aren’t that big and do you really want a stranger amd their family all in your room right after you give birth? Since everything is just about the same that would be my decision point. A level 3 nicu is still a level 3 nicu and there will ALWAYS be a doctor on call,  even if they aren’t actually in the building and there will always be an ER doc and most likely a hospitalist or resident in the actual hospital 24/7. It isn’t like there won’t be someone around if something happens. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors