(Closed) Dental insurance help in US … & dental work in Canada?

posted 6 years ago in Wellness
Post # 3
5243 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

Dental insurance is not covered by the healthcare system in Canada. You have to have coverage through your work or private plan or pay for it out of pocket if you dont have insurance.

Post # 5
46132 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Basic dental care is covered in Canada for those on social assistance.Tthe problem however, is that many dentists aren’t willing to do the work for the amount that the government pays, so even with insurance it’s hard for those people to get work done.

When I was a single parent in nursing school, I got basic dental care for myself and my kids from student dentists. They work under supervision and it was either free or very low cost.

Here is a link to various dental plans in Oregon:

http://www.dentalplans.com/dentalinsuranceoregon.asp

Post # 6
869 posts
Busy bee

@sweetchiquita12:  Being Canadian, I’ll second this, just so you can be sure. She’s right. 🙂

Post # 7
13101 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

I would doubt there are any plans without a wait period if you are getting an individual policy (instead of through a work position).  Insurance companies put a wait period in place to keep people from not carrying insurance, picking it up for a month or two when they need something fixed, and then dropping it again.

Post # 9
774 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Its covered if your on social assistance (sometimes, but you have to find a denist thats willing to work with it) or have treaty/indian status. You have to have a plan at work or though a spouse to be covered. But some arn’t very good. Mine only covers 1 cleaning a year, and any work I need to submit a form.

Post # 11
1400 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I work for a major dental insurance company and I will say it is very hard (if not impossible) to find an individual self-paid policy without waiting periods.

It is to keep people from paying one month premium, getting $1000+ work paid for, then dropping the plan. Unfortunatly it happens all too often and spoils it for everyone else.

There are good individual plans out there, unfortunatly it will take 6-12 months before you can use them for much more than cleanings and exams. But the good news is, once those waiting periods are met, as long as you stick with them, you’ll never have them again.

Post # 12
2889 posts
Sugar bee

My FIL went to Poland to get dental work done. I have no idea exactly what they did but he said it was cheaper to stay there for 2 weeks. I imagine he needed some serious stuff done.

Post # 13
53 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Another idea is to look for Dental Schools, they often have cheaper rates as you would be worked on by a student with a dentist watching them.

Post # 14
247 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I am a Cdn citizen and do not have ANY coverage for dental. There is VERY limited coverage thru some empolyers here but its really is just a basic check up and cleaning 1-2 times a year. Not sure where you heard that but any health coverage here is ONLY for CDn citizens.

The topic ‘Dental insurance help in US … & dental work in Canada?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors