(Closed) Destination with just the 2 of us,can we still have a shower & reception?

posted 9 years ago in Destination Weddings
Post # 3
1048 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2009 - City Hall

Sure, you can have a reception. Lots of folks call this a "hometown reception". Mr. MJ and I are having one a few days after our very private wedding.

My friend and her hubby were married in St. Thomas (Virgin Islands) in January with just family, but didn’t have a reception back at home until May. I didn’t think anything of the delay.

As far as a shower? That’s really up to those close to you. Generally friends, bridesmaids or relatives throw one for you.

Post # 4
8 posts
Newbee

Even if it’s only the two of you that doesn’t mean your wedding day can’t be special and memorable.  I don’t think there’s any moratorium on when you have the reception.  I perform many weddings for just the couple and the required witnesses, and most of them are planning a party afterwards when they get home.  It will be up to you to provide the link between the wedding and the reception, many brides use photos to do this, and some have a themed reception.  For example if you got married on a beach somewhere you could do a reception with a beach theme.

Post # 5
948 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2018 - Coyaba Resort, Montego Bay

You can definitely have a shower and reception!!  Go for it & have fun 🙂

Post # 6
54 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: February 2018

I have been thinking of doing the same thing. It just seems easier and more intimate.

Post # 7
8 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 1969

You can have it all!!  My fiance and I are getting married in Negril, Jamaica at the Sandals Negril Resort, just the two of us, beautiful, intimate, a small reception (just the two of us) with a cake, our first dance, everything!!  Very reasonable!!!  They provide everything!!  Then….we are having a reception when we return home with all of our family and friends!!  Having a wedding just for the two of us is the best decision in the world.  It really becomes what it should be…exchanging vows with the one you love, shared only between the two of us.  So often the bride is exhausted, has spent so much time planning and concentrating on everyone else, all of the drama etc., and she doesn’t even get to enjoy it.  To me…this is the perfect way to go!!!

Post # 8
1514 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

Of course you can have a reception later.  I’d announce the marriage when you get married and let people know there will be a reception later.  As far as the shower, of course you can have it, but generally someone close to you throws it, so it’s up to them.

Post # 9
7054 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

Absolutely you can have a reception!  And you can even invite your minister to re-affirm your vows w/loved ones there so they can "feel" it even more or what I think is fun…SHOW THE VIDEO on a large screen of your marriage first and then have the minister/friend re-affirm those vows and then let the party get started!

I think that would be a fun twist and a reason to wear your gorgeous wedding dress a SECOND time!!!  Get your moneys worth out of it!

Post # 10
426 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

You can do whatever you want!!  I went to a reception that was months after the couple’s destination wedding and it was great!!  None of the guests thought it was weird and we all had a great time!

You could send out an announcement announcing your "private" destination wedding and reception to be held in your home town or where ever you want.

Post # 11
158 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: January 2018

WE are having an at home (litterally in our yard) 6 months after our winter wedding in Jamaica.  This will be a time for all who opt not to spend the time, $ etc to join us in the Caribbean.  Additionally it will be the ceremony/party where our kids will participate.  Bringing teenagers on our honeymoon doesn’t really work for us, they’ll be involved in our summer festivus, and we’ll have the tropical relaxing honeymoon sans kids. 

Post # 12
3709 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

My fiance is planning our destination wedding to Jamaica for this December (I am so lucky). I wanted a beach wedding and he wanted an intimate wedding so we merged the two and deciced to go the destination route. He is planning everything (except for my wedding ensemble of course) and even the resort we will be staying at will be a secret (although a little birdie told me Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios). We are having some really nice picture wedding announcements made and sent out once we are back and his parents will be throwing us a small reception when we get back. While both sets of parents/families are kind of disappointed that we didn’t go the traditional route…they understand and have been really supportive of us having the wedding WE want.

Post # 13
246 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Of course you can have a shower and reception!! It’s your day! My cousin and her FI went to vegas and got married, just the 2 of them. We didn’t know till we get the pictures emailed to us. She’s had her shower a few months after and is planning the reception. We want to be there for her and celebrate this part in her life. I cant wait for the reception.

Don’t stress too much about it. You can totally pull it off!

Post # 14
216 posts
Helper bee

Of course you can !    

Post # 15
235 posts
Helper bee

@JamaciaBride – I am OBSESSED with Royal Plantation!  I want to go so much!  We’re doing Hawaii as our honeymoon, and I’m planning on putting the bug in the ear early about Royal Plantation as our babymoon down the road 😉

Post # 16
120 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

I deffinately think a reception later will be awesome for the two of you, friends, and family! At the end of the day people who love you just want an opportunity to celebrate with you! Like JA bride said, I think it would be nice to send marriage announcements with a picture from the wedding as an invitation to the at home reception! 

@ JA bride that is totally romantic and special!!! I love JA my girls and I go every year!

The topic ‘Destination with just the 2 of us,can we still have a shower & reception?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors