(Closed) Diamond dilemma .90 ct princess cut or 1.00 ct

posted 6 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
2608 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

less than 1/4 of a mm I think… I’d save the cash, and get the higher quality, less expensive stone.  Round up if anyone asks the size and just say ” a carat” if thats important to you,

Post # 4
11273 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

there is very little difference in size but as soon as you hit the 1 ct mark prices jump up a lot.

the quality of the .90 ct stone sounds really nice.  do you have the measurement of it?  then you can compare for yourself the table size difference to a 1 ct.  keep in mind, some diamonds are cut deeper or shallower than others too so the table or top of it may appear smaller or larger to others in the same range.

Post # 7
666 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Clarity is very important for a pricess cut diamond (not as important for round brilliant as there are so many facets).  So it’s much better to go with 0.9 ct with VS2 Clarity.  $3,800 is an incredible deal (I don’t even know this price is even exist for this size of diamond and this clarity and color).

Post # 9
790 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Better quality is more important to me than size, except in men when I greatly appreciate size AND quality. Besides, who could possible tell the difference visually between a .90 and 1.00 carat diamond? I would consider .90 a carat by any standards.

Post # 11
192 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2013 - ceremony at a gazebo outside, reception at neighboring restaurant on a lake

3800 is an excellent deal for what you are describing. 

Look into the more detailed report on the diamond.  Ask to see the GIA report.  Does it have a culet?  Also, is the girdle very thin?  If you have a medium to large culet, the center of the diamond may look like it has a “hole” in it.  The culet is the bottom of the diamond.  A diamond with no culet has a perfect point to it.  A large culet means it doesn’t come to a point, rather it is flattened a bit on the bottom.  It can reflect light in odd ways and then have the hole appearance.  You also want to make sure the girdle isn’t very thin.  If you have a very thick girdle it will make minimal effects on the light reflection.  I very thin girdle I would steer clear from since it would make the diamond at risk of fracture/breakage.  I’m not sure if excellent or very good cuts means that it has a minimal culet and a perfectly fine girdle range.  But it would be worth looking into.  Also, make sure it doesn’t have a yellow fluorescence.  Some diamonds flouresce and it would be better to either have blue fluorecence or no fluorescence as a yellow fluorescence can make a diamond look like it is a yellower color even if it is an F. 

Post # 12
33 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2014

I would always go with quality over size when it comes to diamonds. My other half wanted to get me 1ct but in the end went for .7 D colour, VS1 and very good cut and I am so glad that he did. My diamond is so sparkly and bright that it catches your eye much more than a larger but poorer quality diamond would.

Post # 13
3626 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I agree with all PP. For this small of a difference in carat size, I would go smaller with the better clarity and color. Unless the cut of the smaller one isn’t good. 

Post # 14
2459 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

A better quality .9ct will look bigger than a duller 1ct because of the sparkle. That is such a good deal too, We paid $8000 for a .92ct Radient diamond ring in white gold setting that was  D SI1. 

Post # 15
67 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Another vote for quality over size! 

Post # 16
14306 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

@mypinkshoes:  I second this. 

OP, you should get the dimensions of the princess cut.  A round .46ct is about 4.8mm, and a .9ct princess can be anywhere from 5.2-5.8mm depending on how its cut.  So if its a bigger look you are going for, even though you’re almost doubling the ct weight, the fingerage cover may not be increasing as much as you hope.

The topic ‘Diamond dilemma .90 ct princess cut or 1.00 ct’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors