(Closed) Did your parents & your fi’s parents sit together at the wedding?

posted 9 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
765 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

It’s not weird at all! 

Ours didn’t.  There were too many friends and other family members they hadn’t seen in a while. 

Post # 4
164 posts
Blushing bee

I think it is pretty standard for the bride & groom’s parents to sit separately, each presiding over their own table of their closest family members. that’s how we did it, and it worked perfectly.

Post # 5
6010 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

Our parents each hosted their own table at the reception.  I think it worked out well because we got to include more “special” guests at the head tables. 

Post # 6
2205 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

Our parents sat at different tables at the reception–my parents with grandparents and immediate family, and his parents with grandparents and immediate family. 

His family especially never gets to see eachother so I wanted them to have some time for fellowship during the wedding.  Our parents did sit next to eachother at the rehearsal dinner though!

Post # 7
853 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

it depends on how big your wedding is and if you’re having a sweetheart table/ not. if it’s a big party, each can preside over their own

Post # 8
73 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

Our parents sat at seperate tables – since they had only met twice before the wedding (once was at the rehearsal dinner!) it made sense for them each to sit with people they felt comfortable with. 

Post # 9
3332 posts
Sugar bee

Our wedding was pretty small (only had 10 tables plus the head table), so we sat our parents and grandparents together.  It worked out well for us and split all the other tables up well. 

I think you can do whatever works best.  If you think that the evening will go more smoothly with them sitting separately, then go for it.

Post # 10
4480 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: March 2010 - Calamigos Ranch

Not weird! We’re doing that too, partially because my parents are divorced. My mom has remarried, but totally freaks out about the idea of my dad dating anyone. I’d like him to be able to bring a date, so I want them on opposite sides of the room. 😉 And no reason why one set of my parents/step-parents/SOs should sit with the in-laws and not the other, so we’re just putting them all with the people they want to sit with.

Post # 11
404 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

Ya like everyone said, it just depends.  at my sister’s wedding the tables were huge so her FILs and our parents sat together, but I think it’s pretty standard to have them host their own tables as well. 

Post # 13
1220 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

Um, I couldn’t even imagine our families sitting together, so no, I don’t think it’s weird at all!

Post # 14
2344 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Ours will not, and they are very friendly, but you want them to be able to spend them with their own friends. Everyone understands that.

Post # 15
291 posts
Helper bee

We had his parents “host” one table, my Mom host another, and my Dad had a third (My parents are divorced.) None of them sat with us, and I think it worked out fine.

Post # 16
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper

Ours did. They play nice together and we actually had 10 immediate family members (grandparents, parents) and our tables sat 10. Perfect for us, but I haven’t always seen tables meshed like that,.

The topic ‘Did your parents & your fi’s parents sit together at the wedding?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors