Post # 1
Ok, I’ll try and keep this brief!
We’re having a DW. I am a teacher so it will be in the october holidays (we get 2 weeks off) our intention was to get married on Tuesday on 1st week and then have our honeymoon which would take us to the end of the 2 weeks.
problem:my friends are also teachers and work in different areas and the holidays have just been released and they are different!
should I change the date to the second week (this means they can come) and forego the honeymoon, keep it originally and unfortunately my friends (2 of them) can’t come, or move completely to April 2015 (6 months later) and then everyone can come and we get to go on honeymoon.
please don’t tell me the fact I choose a DW means people can’t come, I know that. But these two would come if they could, so it’s not an issue of not affording it or having to take holidays from work.
what would you do in this situation?
thanks of any advice!
Post # 3
I think it all depends on how close you are to these friends. If you would be really dissapointed that they weren’t there then you should do it the second week. If it isn’t that big of a deal to you then just do it without them.
Post # 4
Moving the wedding to april seems like the win win situation. If waiting 6 months isn’t a big deal to you or your FI that seems like an easy solution. If you do mind waiting that long… don’t. you’ll resent the whole situation.
Personally there is no one outside of my family that I would let dictate whether or not I had a honeymoon. BUT that’s just me.
Just think about 20 years from now: which will you regret more? your friends missing your wedding or you missing/greatly delaying your honeymoon?
Post # 5
If they are important friends, then I would move the wedding to the second week. Howeverm you can still go on vacation for the whole 2 weeks and jsut do a honeymoon before you get married. If your DW location is on a beach you will be nice and tan for your wedding, which would be a plus.
Due yo the way life works, I will not have time for a honeymoon after my wedding (we will be moving and my FI will be starting a new jobs). So instead we are just going to go on a “honeymoon” a few months earlier when we both have the time for it.
Post # 6
I think I would keep it planned, as is, but that also depends on how much work you’ve put into planning so far (and how hard it would be to change things around). Maybe your friends can find a way to make it work — I don’t know about their time off situation.
But, if you’re ok with delaying a honeymoon, then go ahead and change the week (you can always go ona honeymoon a few months later). I wouldn’t push it out until 2015 though. But, that’s just me
Post # 7
@wwbga: personally, i would have the date so that the majority of my guests can attend, keeping in mind that not all of them will be able to attend. talk to your guests and find out who will be able to attend and when.
Post # 8
Thanks for all your replies. We have venues and stuff picked out but not booked so could easily change it. i like the suggestion of honeymooning first and having a tan! We are getting married in NYC so no beaches but could go somewhere else first.
Post # 9
@wwbga: if you go that route, just be sure that you don’t burn and peel.
Post # 10
@creativeplannertobee: haha! That would look nice huh! I’d hopefully be fine, i’m very conscious of putting sun lotion on (thanks dad!) and I’m fortunate that I have skin that tans well. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea that
@FionnaCake: suggested. also, we would still be in New York right after the wedding so I guess technically that would be our honeymoon and the trip before hand could be a pre-wedding break!
Again, thanks for all your input!!
Post # 11
I’d put it off to April…
Reason one, sounds like more people can come.
Reason two, you get the romantic honeymoon after the Wedding experience (I am and Encore Bride, and have been married 2x… Honeymoon immediately following Wedding is an awesome experience because you are just sooo over the moon to begin with)
Reason three… guessing you might be looking at the Caribbean for your Destination Wedding / Honeymoon. October is still HIGH Season for Hurricanes. April on the other hand has awesome weather.
Hope this helps,
Post # 12
@wwbga: I would move it to the 2nd week & only have a few days honeymoon & take another honeymoon later if you can afford to. If you move it 6 months there may be other firends who cannot make it due to other reasons. In syaing that I pushed my DW back 6 months as 3 close friends couldnt make the first date, then 2 out of the 3 did RSVP yes but the other couple still couldnt :-). And i was timing mine for school holidays also.
Post # 13
I would honeymoon first so to speak! We did a DW, but we had the wedding on a Saturday so the most people could attend. We also needed to be there ahead of time to run through a bit of logistics. My DH could only get 1 week off. So, we just honeymooned before everyone else got there. We have no regrets and enjoyed it very much. Good luck to you!
Post # 14
Switch it to April, so you can have everything you want. I honestly think the honeymoon is the best part because you can unwind and enjoy yourself without the stress of the wedding… It is only 6 months away, and that will fly by!
Post # 15
I have said keep it the same as it doesn’t matter what date you choose, it will always clash with someone. So choose a date which suits you and your FI, not for anyone else.