(Closed) Dinner served at 7:00pm too late?

posted 7 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
6598 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

Sounds perfect to me!

Seen as I am having a cheese display for cocktail hour and dinner at 7pm.

I think people expect to eat around that time anyway! I don’t usually eat before 7 anyway!

Post # 4
645 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I think 7pm sounds great! I too, would rather have the event end later…a bit more fun 🙂 Plus, the cheese and crackers can hold people over who like to eat earlier. Generally, I tend to eat really late, around 8pm…

Post # 5
1403 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Generally, a dinner served later in the evening is considered more formal.  I think as long as your guests are made aware of how late dinner will be, they can plan ahead to eat a late lunch or something.  Maybe your invitations can mention “dinner at seven” so they know.

Post # 6
769 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2010

I think it’s fine!  We never eat until around 8 or so normally, so I’d be okay with dinner at 7.

Post # 7
549 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Our timing is exactly the same, and was actually designed that way by our venue as their most successful timing! 

Post # 8
136 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

if it makes you feel any better, my ceremony is at 6:30. cocktail hour at 7:00, dinner at 8:30. most people don’t eat that early and the cocktail hour will hold them over! i had the same issue with wanting to push back everything so we got to end later.

Post # 9
913 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

My ceremony is at 5:30 – cocktail hour from 6-7 and dinner @ 7:30ish.  My gramma is throwing a fit over it saying that it is too late for her to be eating and “how long do I have to stay”  blah blah blah.  I told her to pack a snack and take a nap earlier in the day…..

Post # 10
1104 posts
Bumble bee

Another vote for 7pm! Who wants to eat dinner while the sun is still shining 🙂 If you’ve got a cocktail hour and things are clear on the invite I’m sure it will be fine. Does your venue put bread rolls on the tables before dinner? That’s always a good way to make sure people can eat as soon as they sit down if they need to!

Post # 11
2767 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

Maybe do 5:30 to 10:30?  A 6:30 dinner sounds better to me than a 7pm dinner.

And wow, I’m surprised at all of the responses on here.  Must be a regional thing.  Here in the midwest we eat dinner at 5:30 or 6 usually.  I get cranky if I have to eat any later than 7pm.

Post # 12
190 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I think 7pm is great! My ceremony starts at 7, and dinner wont be served until probably 830 after the cocktail hr!

Post # 13
570 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I think an evening wedding would be perfect that way! That way you aren’t ending it too early, and you have plenty of time for everything involved. I think an appopriate time to have dinner is either 6 or 7, 7 being the preferred time.

Post # 14
913 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

@amariem25:  I eat dinner aound midnight or 1am – breakfast around 5-6pm.  BUT thats because I worked overnights so I’m all screwed up!

Post # 15
546 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

My ceremony is at 6, cocktails/appetizers at 6:30, dinner at 7:30 or so.  My guests will be eating their apps starting at 6:30, so I don’t think anyone will get too cranky.  I kind of think if you are going for an evening wedding vibe, then 5 or 5:30 sounds too early.  When is your ceremony, the amount of time your guests will be waiting plays a large role too, in my opinion.  

Post # 16
762 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I think dinner at 7 is fine. If guests know the ceremony starts at 6 they won’t expect to eat at 6:15 and should plan accordingly.

The topic ‘Dinner served at 7:00pm too late?’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors