- 5 years ago
- Wedding: August 2011
This is a bit long, but I’d really appreciate some input. DH and I have been talking about ditching smart phones, for a number of reasons:
1. We don’t want to fall into patterns of parenting where child comes in second to smart phones. We already put in effort to make sure DS doesn’t get that message, but I think it’s easy to pull out a phone all the time.
2. I am concerned about the safety of cell phones. All of them. I’m not an alarmist, and I don’t think we’ll all die from brain cancer if we use them, but I do think there are legitimate reasons to think that they contribute to the destruction of brain tissue. The effect is likely similar to “dumb” phones, but I think people tend to use dumb phones a lot less, so it’s still significantly better.
3. Cost is a major factor, too. Although we can easily afford a cell phone plan with data, we could also use that money elsewhere. It’s not the main reason we are thinking about it, but it could also help.
But there are drawbacks, too.
1. I use my smart phone a lot of the time when I’m out to look things up. When I’m at the grocery store, I can look up recipe substitutes, I can look up phone numbers, etc.
2. I have aspects to my job that would be difficult (though not impossible) to complete without a smart phone. Although I don’t have a high-powered job that requires constant contact via e-mail, I do need to be able to check in regularly, and my phone allows me to do that (I work from “home,” which often means i’m out and about but need to be responsive).
3. DH’s job can get really boring, depending on time of year. He can’t use his work computer to surf the internet, but can use his cell phone.
But we’re struggling to decide. So far, I’ve come up with a few options (see the poll). What would you do? What do you do? What do you use your smartphone for that you find indispensible? Any options I haven’t thought of?