- 4 years ago
- Wedding: September 2013
So I guess I should preface this post by saying that I just got married (yayyy) and that I decided to do a DIY wedding (so unbelievably time consuming).
I even made my own wedding dress from scratch (and used some of the lace from my mom’s dress, but that’s another post).
I figured if I “DIYed” everything that I could, then I could use the money on what really mattered to me and that was the photographer. (Kendra-Elise photography…she’s amazing) Plus for me, photography is something I’m willing to pay for…there’s a huge difference to me in someone who is an artist and someone who simply has a digital camera (she actually used mostly film)
With that being said, I decided to use dried flowers for my wedding because:
A) They can’t wilt!
B) I personally could never spend very much money on flowers; I’d rather just go without. I’m not saying to not pay for a florist if that really matters to you, but it didn’t particularly matter to me. Plus, we all know with weddings, we have to cut any costs that we can.
C) That being said, I spend $230-240 for all of my flowers…that included the centerpieces (I think we had 14 or 15), aisle decorations, bouquets, corsages, bridesmaid hairpieces, and the bridal hair piece.
D) I didn’t want another person/vendor involved. Not that I had a problem with any of them, in fact, I was really lucky. I just didn’t want to have to worry about them being late or the flowers not being exactly what I wanted.
E) I wanted to have most things at the venue set up the night before
So for the bridesmaid hairpieces I just used little barettes I got from Hobby Lobby forever ago. I’m sure any barette is fine. Then I just hot glued the flowers to the barette. The only problem I had was with the roses. I had to try to glue inside the petals to help secure them. I would have done without the roses, but my mom insisted ;).
Sorry this photo is huge and blurry; it’s from my phone.
And for my hair piece I put a hair chain behind it because I didn’t want to wear a veil. it looks a little wonky here because it’s before it was fixed, but it’s the only photo I have of it right now.
Then for the corsages, I just started out with baby’s breath and added roses to the front of it and then kept adding flowers. I had to trim the baby’s breath a little. I also hotglued each flower and covered all of it up with wire. I covered the wire up with lace.
And for the bouquets, I only gave myself one rule and that was to do everything in 3’s. It’s not necessarily right, but I prefer even numbers and knew that it would look similar from all directions.
Once again, the only photos I have of the bouquets right now are from my phone and it’s the bouquets laying down.
Here’s an upclose before adding extra baby’s breath:
I know this isn’t the best representation of what you can do with dried floral, but I just wanted to throw the idea out there. I didn’t even have the idea until 2 weeks before my wedding! I did all of this in 2 nights. I hope this inspires someone!!
If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask me!