DIY dollar tree centerpiece's $11.00 per table ; )

posted 1 year ago in DIY
  • poll: Elegant or cheap?
    very elegant i love it : (12 votes)
    24 %
    its ok it looks dollar treeish : (28 votes)
    56 %
    cheap i dont like them. : (10 votes)
    20 %
    2560 posts
    Sugar bee

I’m usually one who doesnt like non-floral centerpieces… but I actually like this quite a bit. Since I love flowers so much, the only thing I would do differently is put a real flower in the bottom (from Kroger or something,) but that’s because we will only have five tables so it wouldn’t be too much work if we did it. But with more tables, I say these are wonderful as is and adding a real flower would just be adding unnecessary stress… ya know?

5668 posts
    Bee Keeper

I don’t think they look cheap at all, but for me there’s something missing, still. Have you tried getting something like ivy and maybe draping it around them, or something? I only suggest ivy because it’s usually free… if you live in the right climate, that stuff grows everywhere!

2466 posts
    Buzzing bee

@HisNightOwl2014:  I think you’re off to a good start but they do read a little dollar store tree-ish to me.  But, fear not!  I think you can turn it around.  To me, they look like they’re floating around aimlessly.  I dunno, I think it needs something underneath of them to ground it as a centerpiece.  I would look into mirrored tiles or some kind of placemat that could be put under it to ground it a bit more.  

Our venue supplied mirrored tiles and hurricane candle holders.  So, we took full advantage of that lol.  I ended up using one candle holder filled with peachy pink gems and a regular pillar candle.  We scattered peachy, pink, and cream colored petals at the base of the candle holder on the mirror tile and it added more dimension to the centerpiece.  You got the reflectiveness from the candle light + it looked like you had double flowers cuz the mirror was doing its thing.

Good luck!  Also, you can get the gem things at Michael’s in decent sized bags too. Sometimes I know the dollar store bags can be kind of small.  I looked there too.  

2466 posts
    Buzzing bee

@HisNightOwl2014:  I think it will look awesome!  I love our how ours turned out.  The petals and mirrors really help make it pop more.  Here’s what ours looked like:

Adding the mirror makes the centerpiece stand out more and the flowers soften the look.  I loved how ours turned out.  I also loved that our venue supplie the mirrors and hurricane candle holders, lol.  I just had to buy petals, make our table numbers, buy candles, and buy the gems.  ^_^

1606 posts
    Bumble bee

I like them, but agree that they need a few tweaks.  I would put them closer together, and use larger floating candles.  Also, I wouldn’t just use one of the small tealight candles – either three (or more) or none.  But you have a great start, and a great price!

2466 posts
    Buzzing bee

@nyscpa2be:  I agree with the candle comments too.  I think it’d look better if there were more tealights but I don’t think you need them at all.  Group the centerpiece closer together and pick larger floating candles.  Wah-lah!

751 posts
    Busy bee

I like them! The only thing that i would change, as stated in a pp is maybe using a real flower instead of the fake ones (you can get them wholesale from sams or costco)!

Good Luck

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.