- 3 years ago
- Wedding: August 2013
So I am having a kid friendly wedding and I decided that I should have something to keep the kids relatively busy – even if it is only for a 15-20 minute timeframe.
I scoured a few local stores to find decently priced items that would be safe, fun and not require parents assistance.
Each girl will get a mermaid (with brush), two horses, a Princess/ or Minnie Mouse Activity set (crayons, stickers, coloring book for $1 ea!!!), a sucker, a smarties candy, and four pipe cleaners.
The candy and the pipe cleaners I bought in bulk and I was able to get the mermaid and horsey sets in groups of four – ten pieces (respectively).
The girl’s sets were actually pretty hard because of what is out there for girls’ acivity toys. Most of it was jewelry, nail polish/chapstick, etc – things that wouldn’t keep them ‘busy’ for very long or could potentially get very messy.
The pipe cleaners might seem pretty random but when I am touring the dollar and craft stores looking for things that kids won’t a) ruin their outfits with (aka markers/makeup) b) require mom’s full attention (beads/models) c) choke or otherwise harm themselves with – this is what I found. I have never seen a toddler or a four year old complain about pipecleaners – plus there’s like a million things you can do with them. Strange yes – but also a win as far as I’m concerned.
In the boy’s set I have a Monster’s Inc activity set, two army men, two hot wheels cars, a sucker, a smarties candy, and four pipe cleaners. PS finding stuff for the boys’ sets was *way* easier.
So I basically put all the items into a plain, brown paper lunch sack and bent it over twice (to the backside).
After this it was time for the fun part – I took a plain paper doilie and folded it in half and placed it on top of the bag and punched two, evenly spaced holes with a hand held hole puncher (now I am reevaluating the pics I took – because I didn’t show you all my ‘tools’). I made the set of holes about one inch down from the top of the folded edge of the bag and about an inch apart.
Once the holes were punched I threaded through a ribbon so now it looks like this:
The come the final step – Tie the ribbon! I used a lavender for the girl’s sets and a aqua color for the boys. I was originally going to use babker’s twine but it wouldn’t tie right so I went traveling my house for ribbon – this is what I had on hand…
All finished I had 22 activity sets – 12 for the girls and 10 for the boys. I deliberately had more for the girls because I have four flower girls that I am sure will each have one of these – that means there are only 8 left for all the other girls that could potentially show up. I haven’t had too many kids on the rsvp’s yet but the deadline is this week so we will see if this is enough.
Let me know what you think!!!!