• Post # 3
    2765 posts
    Sugar bee

You’re a designer, no?

Post # 4
    129 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

I say go for the DIY invites. I think that yes the designer invites are Fancy and have the label I suppose but if you make them yourself it is more personal and a sense or your own style. You can really have fun with it! I went out looking for invitations last week and I saw one that was alright but nothing special and it was $9.00 per invite. Thats Insane!! I am very creative (Im in advertising/marketing) so I am making my own and having fun designing them too!

Good Luck!

Post # 5
    3564 posts
    Sugar bee

I”m not crafty at all and don’t have the first idea how to DIY my own invites, so we’re getting them made (which I guess would be designer invites? even though we’re having them custom designed).

Post # 6
    1269 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: January 2011

I am DIYing.  I found paper on sale as well as using my unique design.  Double yay!

Post # 7
    803 posts
    Busy bee

theyre profefssionals for a reason, i’ll let them do what they do best!  could i do them myself.  absolutely.  is it worth my time.  nope!

Post # 8
    10218 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 2010

semi-diy honestly lol!!!

**caveat** i have helped people design invitations but my own are proving quite errrr mind boggling

Post # 10
    1207 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: December 2009

I didn’t have time for DIY so Designer was perfect for me.  I knew what I wanted and she made it happen!

Post # 11
    3539 posts
    Sugar bee

I did DIY, simply because I didnt know there was etsy and and I live in a remote town… now i know of etsy and it would have made it simpler, but FH and I have had a good time putting them together and its been fun! and plus, I couldnt find any in the ‘right’ colors I wanted. 🙁 so creating my own has been good!

Post # 12
    3285 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2009

We DIYed because, well, I loved making our stuff completely “ours” and we could have total control…not to mention, it definitely was more cost efficient.

Post # 13
    5823 posts
    Bee Keeper

I DIYed but I regret it.  If I could go back I would have done professional letterpress invites because:

DIY took up too much of my time
    DIY didn’t look as luxe as I would’ve liked
    DIY cost me more because I had to have all of the items shipped to me
    I got carried away and put way too much into the invites when they didn’t need all of that information (and thus paper!) in them
    DIY cost me the same as professional

Post # 14
    5263 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2012

I wanted to DIY but with school and work I think I’m going to go designer. I’m putting my time and energy into projects I’m better at!

Post # 15
    7779 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper

Like crebre, I guess mine are semi-DIY? I’m ordering the DIY pocketfold kits from Cards and Pockets and having them printed, then assembling everything myself.

It is definitely WAY cheaper, and I don’t care abnout designer invites. I’m not really a paper buff like some of the bees.

Post # 16
    1078 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2009

I personally agree with ClairDarling…they are the professionals for a reason. While I always admire budget-savvy brides, I think this is an area that should often be left to the experts.

Plus, most online invitation retailers have such great deals right now….whatever you spend on supplies and time, it would probably be just as cost-effective to buy them online.

(Look at it this way – if there’s a printing or other sort of mistake, it will all be taken care of for you! No worries there.)

The topic ‘DIY vs Designer Invites : The Pros & Cons’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors