Do you think this is worth losing $1200 for?

posted 3 years ago in Career
Post # 3
774 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013 - Dalhousie Castle

I would play it by the numbers. If you’ll end up better off in the long run, make the change. You can always take a honeymoon later when money is better.

Post # 4
Hostess
7630 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: January 2013

Does the new job have management opportunities available? 

Post # 5
1905 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

Why do you have to cancel? I think if the company liked your FI and wanted to hire him, they would understand him needing a week or so off for his honeymoon

Post # 6
4043 posts
Honey bee

@MrsWinTraining2014:  Are you 100% certain he couldn’t get the time off if he is up front about the honeymoon when hired? 

I would have him first apply for the job and if he gets it, then I would worry about this decision. I wouldn’t cancel until I was  100% he couldn’t go. Also, maybe it is possible to sell the trip to someone else? Even at 50-75% off?

If he couldn’t go and he got the job, I would think it is definitely worth it in the long run. Clearly making 3x the amount he is making in a week will more than make up for the $1200 loss.

Post # 7
1506 posts
Bumble bee

i would say take the job.    they might give him bthe full week off if he tells them right away.  but it will be unpaid.  sorry for the poor typing.  my phone doesnt like the bee

Post # 8
1506 posts
Bumble bee

three months is uusually the probationperiod for jobs. after that, he should be goo to have a week off. 

Post # 9
487 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Take the job. He’ll make $380 more per month, so he would make up the $1200 within a month. You can wait to take a honeymoon, and plan a trip even better than the one you have now. You can still have your honeymoon even if it’s not right after the wedding.

Post # 10
3693 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Why would you have to cancel the honeymoon?

Even if you would have to cancel, that would be the choice I would make. Your dental work is a pretty pressing need right now — the vacation can be postponed, your oral health can’t. If this is the way to get out of having a full set of dentures in your early 20s, that’s what I’d do.

Post # 11
Hostess
15072 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

You might be surprised and they may give him the time off. Some companies are more understanding about major life events and pre-arranged plans like honeymoons.  I agree with some PPs, let him get the job then he can ask HR how to handle the situation. I’d be willing to bet they let him go on the hm just without pay or they could also let him start right after coming home. 

Post # 13
1071 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2014 - Greenbrier Country Club

I would say take the job.
Would he be doing job training or something that would prevent him from getting the time off? That’s a bummer. 
Maybe apply, but keep your eyes peeled for other options.  

Post # 14
1071 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2014 - Greenbrier Country Club

@MrsWinTraining2014:  After reading your update, I’d say go for it. The odds are in your favor that he’ll get the time off. 🙂

Post # 16
1103 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

I’d have him take it! 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors