Doctor Who Christmas Special 2013… Spoilers, Sweetie.

posted 3 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 3
297 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

I agree. They skipped over those 300 years like it was nothing. I get it was almost no time at all for Clara but 300 years would have changed the Doctor. He never liked the idea of settling down or being stuck somewhere like a normal person.

Personally I think they drew out the transition into Capaldi too long. They could have done the sentimental stuff before he went to the top of the tower. The way they did it, he started regenerating at the tower then he somehow made his way back down into the TARDIS still as Matt Smith so he could say bye to Clara and reminisce about Amy. I’m not much of a fan of Matt Smith as you can probably tell. I haven’t seen Capaldi in anything before but I’m willing to give him a chance. IMO no one is as good as David Tennant though as the Doctor. 

I kind of like the current Tardis! It’s definitely a more 80s type Tardis, similar to the old one with the circles. 

I didn’t really understand how Daleks were inside those people though. I didn’t think they were capable of that sort of thing. 

All in all, a good episode, and lots of loose ends were tied up. 

Post # 4
1826 posts
Buzzing bee

I loved it 🙂

At this point, DW is just a fun sci fi show for me. I’ve stopped trying to trace the lines, so to speak.

Post # 6
1157 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

@pharmy:  Seconded, if you try to follow the “rules” you’ll just get confused.  The show breaks its own rules all the time, I’ve given up on trying to follow it exactly.

@Miss Fish:  I agree with your Clara observation.  I don’t love her (don’t hate her but I don’t love her) and this might be why.  She’s just there.  Even the Doctor referred to her as his “acquaintance” and not his “companion” so she’s just not special enough for me.

@copperbird90:  I was thinking the same thing!  Why were these hundreds of years just skipped over?  It’s obviously important, but it felt like an afterthought.  Made me a little sad.

Question for all of you:  Do any of you think that the writers will tie in Peter Capaldi’s former DW roles at all into his new role as the Doctor?  He was the father of the family in the Pompeii episodes (with Donna)…I wonder if it’ll come out that he was actually the Doctor at that time?  The writers love to tie these things in!  He was also the British government representative (John F something) in the final season of Torchwood.  Curious…

Post # 7
1826 posts
Buzzing bee

I’m actually hoping that they keep the doctor’s spans shorter. I rather enjoyed Eccleston’s 1 season run (although I know they didn’t plan it that way), and would be happy if they kept it to 2 series/doctor. Just enough time to get attached but not so long they drag it out and start doubling back on themselves.

Post # 8
526 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

I didn’t like it. After the 50th, there was just no way it could be as good, and I feel like they used up all of their effort on the 50th and just threw some stuff together for this one. It was understandable, but a sad end to my favorite Doctor.

Also, HATE Clara. Hate her. She was fantastic in her first appearance with the Daleks, but I absolutely despise the fact that the companions can’t just be normal people the Doctor took a liking to, like they used to be in the originals. Ever since the reboot all of the companions have to be special snowflakes and it drives me nuts. When can we get a companion like Sarah Jane, or Jamie, or Leila (sp)? 

ETA: I know Leila was like a warrior alien lady, but she wasn’t The Most Important Girl in the Universe (TM).

Post # 9
297 posts
Helper bee

@pharmy:  I’m not sure the length of time an actor plays the doctor is that important. I loved both Christopher Ecclestone and David Tennant, and I wish they’d got rid of Matt Smith earlier. As a side note I wish they got rid of Amy and Rory earlier; I never liked them.

@ebarnes0:  Personally I don’t think they’ll tie it back to his previous role. But I suppose it’s possible.

@Miss Fish:  Lol I thought it was a hologram too!

Post # 10
1952 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I’m still undecided. I absolutely LOVED the regeneration scene, especially the Amy bit. The regeneration part made sense to me. He used up a lot of his regeneration power (I suppose) to defeat the Dalek fleets, then within the blink of an eye Capaldi’s on screen. I don’t think the naked thing was really necessary.

Post # 11
3598 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

When David Tennant regenerated into Matt Smith, I liked how they used visual effects to make it look like the Doctor morphed over a few seconds.  This time, it was like BAM! and suddenly he’s Peter Capaldi.  I didn’t care for that.  

I was crying a bit when he went up to the tower, but when I saw the fish fingers & custard in the TARDIS, I burst into tears.  The fish fingers & custard thing is important to DH & me because I worked it into my wedding vows.  

Post # 12
1157 posts
Bumble bee

@strawbabies:  If it’s not too personal could you share that part of your wedding vows?  I’m considering working DW in somehow but I’m not sure how.

Post # 13
3598 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

@ebarnes0:  Remember in the episode where Amy was trying to assure the Doctor that everything would be ok, and he said, “Swear to me on something that matters” and she answered, “Fish fingers and custard”?

When it was my turn to say, “I do,” I swore on fish fingers and custard.

Post # 14
526 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

@strawbabies:  That is so cute! I’m thinking of having “Together or not at all” engraved on my FI’s rings. I also quoted DW in my HS graduation speech, as did my older brother (He used the 7th Doctor’s “Somewhere out there the tea is getting cold” quote, and I used “Good luck and just be magnificent”).

I grew up on the Doctor thanks to my uncle.

Post # 15
279 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2016 - Highfield House, Stanley, Tasmania

my FI and myself are having either a 1st or 4th Doctor look a like as our celebrant, and my trousseau will be monogramed in Gallifreyan. It will be perfect for us two whovians 🙂 

Post # 16
1157 posts
Bumble bee

@strawbabies:  Aw too cute!!

@Nostawyn:  

@MadsTheGallifreyan:  I think the most I can convince my FI to incorporate it will be “sweetie” and “companion” signs on the back of our chairs haha!  Although he seemed really into the idea of having River Song’s journal as our guestbook.  And we’ll be dressing up as the 10th doctor and River Song for Halloween, since we’ll be getting married in FL in October and taking our guests to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal 🙂

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors