Does a 1.25 carat look noticeably larger than 1 carat?

posted 3 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
10219 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

Hi @WineryBride14:  You might find the following tools useful:

Finger Coverage Comparisson Chart

Diamond Dimensions

Hope this helps,

Post # 4
10219 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

You didn’t mention if you were looking at Rounds…

But here is another Chart that gives more details as to size:

The difference between 1.0 Carat and 1.25 is a mere 1/2 mm… so not much at all.  Hardly noticeable really.

Post # 5
679 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

When I was trying on rings, I could see the difference but it wasn’t a HUGE difference, and it was only because the two stones were right next to each other.

A 1 carat stone (round I assume) should measure 6.5 mm and a 1.25 carat should measure 7mm, so while your eye can detect the difference, it’s not significant.

I would use the 1.25 carat gifted to you. Laughing

Post # 6
2126 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

@WineryBride14:  I don’t think you’ll really notice that much of a difference. My stone is 1.3 carats and my friend’s is 1 and they look very similar in terms of size. We both have a round cut, though, so other cuts may vary more. I do think rings over 1 carat are large enough to get noticed (especially in an area where people don’t have bigger rings), though, so if you’re not comfortable with that, you may want to rethink it.

Post # 8
1327 posts
Bumble bee

Ooh, I must pass on a useful site another bee shared – http://www.diamdb.com

Click on the diamond shape that you’re looking at, choose a size, and there will be a window with a finger in it – you can choose ring size, skin tone, finger length, and ring width.  It’ll give you a good idea of finger coverage, and you can even compare two sizes side by side if you scroll down! 🙂

Post # 9
519 posts
Busy bee

As long as the cut of the stone is not shallow, I don’t think there’d be much difference visually.  For example, my round is 1 carat and I have a cousin that has a 1.5, they are both decent stones.  And mine looked very close in size to hers, she even asked if it was the same.  It could be that the setting I have makes it look a little larger than it is as well.  But when we put them side by side, there was not a humongous difference visually.

Post # 10
2358 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Personally, I thought there was a noticeable difference between a ~1.25 and my 1.6. There wasnt much difference between 1.6 and 2, I noticed, when looking down on them tho. The main difference was the depth of the stone sitting in the prongs. But for the coverage I wanted, I def had to go with the larger stone, and to ME, it was noticeably larger in that carat range.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors