(Closed) Does anyone else have a hard time eating Fruits & Veggies?

posted 8 years ago in Wellness
Post # 3
4150 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I definitely have a hard time eating fruits and veggies.  It’s not that I don’t like them, but my FI for example will eat several bananas and apples a day, and I just don’t care to pick one up and munch.

I’m going to look for some recipes and get back to you!!

Post # 4
11327 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

I used to have a hard time with both, although I’ve gotten way better about fruits. Especially now that it is summer and prices are lower, I buy 4 containers of berries every week at the grocery store and I make sure I eat all of them. Usually I substitute them for a side dish rather than chips or pretzels or whatever for lunch or dinner. They’re sweet so its almost like dessert. I also like bananas as a snack but they’re a little bit higher calorie and I’m trying to lose weight so I stick to berries more. 

As for veggies that is harder for me because I don’t like cooked veggies mostly. I do eat cooked peppers and onions so I do fajitas heavy on those sometimes, or i’ll just cut up a cucumber and tomato to eat with a little salt at dinner. 

Post # 5
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

You can go to allrecipes.com, type in ingredients you want to include, and then up pop some recipes that include them.

One of my favorite simple dishes is pasta with diced, grilled chicken and some sauteed veggies with some olive oil, salt, and garlic on top. Very simple, very good for you if you don’t go nutso on the olive oil. I also like vodka sauce–it’s a mild tomato cream sauce that tastes fattening, but really isn’t (90 cals/1/2 cup maybe?) but i water it down a little.

As far as fruit goes, I just dice it up and eat it like that. I also like aged, high quality balsamic vinegars on my fruit .

I used to eat very crappy food–lots of ranch, mayo, sauces, butter, cheese, etc. At first it felt like force feeding healthy food down me, but eventually through trial and error i just learned what i liked and what went well together. I was gifted a huge 50-spice spice set and just started searching for recipes to utilize them with.

When using fresh veggies/fruit, i think it’s best to keep your meals simple. If you buy in season, you won’t be covering up the flavors, you’ll be enjoying them.

Vegetable lasagnas are good, too.

Post # 6
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

@Corgi, if you like cucumbers, you may like this!

1) peel off cucumber skin, score the edges with a fork. Slice VERY thin.

2) layer in a glass pan, sprinkle salt, then layer more cucumbers+salt

3) place something heavy over top (like a plate) and place a big heavy can on top of that to weigh it down. Let it sit overnight on the counter

4) Drain and rinse very, very well. Squeeze out excess water, pat dry with paper towels (you’ll use like, 10, i’m not kidding!)

5) whisk together a cup or so of white vinegar, add 3-4 TB of sugar, and a few teaspoons of pepper. Whisk until sugar is dissolved and add more/less to taste.

6) pour over cucumbers, let sit in fridge for a few hours.

I don’t know why i like this so much, but the cucumbers should be extra crispy and sweet with a little tang. I like to add very thinly sliced vidalia (sweet) onions in step #6. Tomatos are also very, very excellent in this dish.

Post # 7
46 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Have you tired asparagus? I love it and it’s super easy to make. We take a little olive oil and put in a pan, then add the asparagus, sea salt, and Italian seasoning. Bake on 350 for 15 minutes and it is great.

Also, I know there is a recipe for mashed cauliflower that is supposed to taste like mashed potatoes…maybe try this one, it looks easy: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1222

You can always add fat free cheese to vegetables to make them taste better.

Post # 8
3762 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Also start small if you can.  Adjust to adding garlic, green pepper, green oinons, etc to a dish.  Munch through those. 

I really love this cooking light cook book. 

Post # 9
7771 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

Just gotta find a way to make them good to you- and- remember- there is so much variety!  How about making smoothies?  I LOVE them, with blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, banana, soy milk.  You can also stick spinach in, and you wont even know it is in there.  I also love broccoli cheese soup.  And I LOVE asparagus.  You can try grilling veggies- or- I often make a thai peanut sauce- the peanut butter makes everything taste good- and I make a big stir fry with it.  It seriously makes veggies taste great!  Some veggies that are good on there own- avocado, yellow peppers. 

The peanut sauce is basically:

Soy Sauce, Apple Cider Vinegar, Natural Peanut Butter (I get some that is just peanuts, honey, and salt), and sesame seeds.  It is SO.GOOD.

Post # 10
1928 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I don’t have a problem with fruits but with veggies I do.

I recently tried a salad with strawberries and it was out of this world. You can make it at home: lettuce, strawberries, and walnuts. I use a rasberry vinegarette dressing but I have heard that olive oil and lemon juice is good.

I like mushrooms, but only fresh I hate the ones in the can. I like to grill portabella mushrooms. Just brush them with olive oil, put some salt pepper and garlic powder (anything else if you want it) and throw them on the grill. I also like to cut portabella’s up and saute them in a pan with some wine.  

Post # 11
3762 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Here are some other small changes you can try to make:

1. Add to your salads.  Get away from iceberg lettuce (almost no vitamins) and go to a romain or spinach.  Add green pepper, carrots, cuccumber, etc. 
  2. Broccoli is always good with cheese until you get used to eating it plain.  Same for Califlower.
  3. Keep fruit on hand that you can munch on.  Grapes, cut up watermelon, etc.  If its already cut up its much easier to grab and go.  Many things can be left on the counter as well for a while.  If you know you are going to be in the kitchen cooking, set out a bag of baby carrots and try to snack on a few. 

Post # 12
2090 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Preparation methods make a HUGE difference for many veggies. Try roasting veggies, and having them that way. Asparagus, cauliflower and beets for example, are about 12879384537254856284 times better tasting if they have been roasted, versus other prep methods.

And buy fresh, in season veggies. A local farmer’s market is a good place to start.
Summer squash is great grilled – its sweet when grilled (and browned).

Fruit salad with some sorbet is an easy and low fat dessert. We like to mix blueberries, sliced up peaches, strawberries/raspberries, etc. with a scoop of peach or lemon sorbet. It’s esp. great when it’s hot out.

For salads –if you’re used to having a heavy dressing like ranch, it might take a while to adjust, but our typical dressing is just either a bit of olive oil and a vinegar (balsamic is nice, or red wine vinegar), or olive oil and a squeeze of lemon (and a bit of salt and pepper to taste). Good rule of thumb for greens is that the darker they are, the better they are for you. You can eat iceburg lettuce til the cows come home, and really, you aren’t doing much. Try eating baby spinach, or adding in chard – that packs a nutritional punch.

Most of all – don’t psyche yourself out about vegetables. So many people get all worked out about how they don’t like ANY veggies, or didn’t eat them growing up. Don’t be afraid to try new prep methods and recipes. If you grew up eating canned peas and asparagus, I could see why you would think peas were disgusting. A fresh pea and a fresh spear of asparagus are completely different animals from their mushy, canned counterparts.

Post # 13
7771 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

I also make fresh salsa- tomatoes, avocado, onions, garlic, fresh cilantro, garlic powder and sea salt.  It is amazing!  (add chile powder if you want some spice.)

It took me awhile to wean myself off of sugar- but now I love oranges and organic apples.  One thing that helped me get off sugar was Kombucha.  It will seem weird, maybe, at first, but it is really good for you and I love it.

Post # 14
2410 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I find that the easiest way to enjoy eating vegetables is to stop thinking of them as a necessary evil, but more of an enhancement to your meals. Go to a farmers market and buy some really fresh and in season produce. Asparagus is a great idea or artichokes or mushrooms. Jamie Oliver has some of the most delicious recipes that incorporate tons of veggies. http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetarian-recipes/page1#list

It is always fun to eat veggies if you are trying a new dish!

Post # 15
3176 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

FH will NOT eat fruits and veggies (with a few exceptions). He doesn’t like the texture of them. I added peppers to the chicken I was making and he asked me why I put “grossies” in with the chicken…Anyway that was my clue that even introducing him to new foods wasn’t going to work. So I started making smoothies in the morning and would put in strawberries, bananas, berries (things he would NEVER eat) and he actually likes them cause its all mixed together and more like a shake, so thats an idea to try? As far as veggies go, I noticed that if I cut up pieces really really tiny like he’ll eat it cause he can’t pick it out. He loves mashed potatoes so I’ll usually try to get him to put little pieces of carrots or greenbeans in there too, sometimes if you can “hide” the taste it makes it easier to eat. Also to get him to eat broccoli I’ll put cheese on it, you can get low fat cheeses easily at the store that melts well.

Post # 16
6572 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2010

i dislike most fruits and veggies, so i just started drinking fruit juice that has veggies in it. i realize it’s made for children, but whatever works for me to get my veggies!

The topic ‘Does anyone else have a hard time eating Fruits & Veggies?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors