(Closed) Does anyone have any ideas for cheap invitations?? & RSVPing online??

posted 9 years ago in Paper
Post # 3
6010 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

I used one of the Micheals invite kits, and they turned out great!  I used the Brides brwon and ivory colored kit (it’s pretty popular, I think).  We also bought one can of the blue flower confetti to glue on and make them a little bit different.  I have had so many compliments about how unique and beautiful they are.  And the kits are so easy to use!  You just download the template, plug in your names, and print.  We did them a little differently than the instructions said to because we wanted to personalize them, and it took about 3 hours to do 60 invitations.  Also, Micheals always has coupons in the paper and in bridal magazines; we only paid $50 for 60 invites (this also included RSVP cards, RSVP envelopes, invite envelopes, ribbon, etc…).

To answer your second question, no it would be no problem to put all of the RSVP information on one card.  My only suggestion is that it might be a little crowded, and you could consider putting the website RSVP option on the back of the card instead of everything on the front. 

That being said, we also did online RSVPs and it was great!  Very convenient both for you and the guest.  Our second option was to call with RSVPs, but we only got a couple of those.  If you send out RSVP cards but also give out the option of doing it online, you will probably pay for a lot of stamps that will never be used.  As long as you don’t mind that extra cost/use of paper, go for it!  Some people really like paper RSVPs, and there’s nothing wrong with giving your guests both options!

Post # 4
424 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

We got our invitations at the same place where our groomsmen rented their tuxes..Al’s Formalwear. They were SUPER cheap, look great, and were done in under two weeks. Plus, we got a 40% off discount.

Post # 5
119 posts
Blushing bee

We got invites from Staples. We put our wording on one of their templates and placed the order. The completed cards arrived two days later and the whole thing cost less than $100.

Then we did online R.S.V.P. through mywedding.com.

Post # 6
9 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2009

Our invites weren’t super cheap, but not crazy expensive as we went with digital print from weddingdivas.com.  Maybe they came in around $250.  We went with an enclosure card that listed our website and asked guests to RSVP there or to call me (for the older guests that aren’t computer savvy). I did see those Brides.com invites at Michaels the other day, and they are very cute.  If you don’t have time to order things online, I would DIY those in a hurry!

Our website is on wedshare.com.  I picked them b/c of the ratings and the fact that you can control the number of guests that someone can rsvp for.  Because of budget and space constraints, we didnt want our friends deciding to pick a random date for the wedding.  The online RSVP also has a place for meal selection, etc so I didnt bother listing it on the enclosure card.

Now that our RSVP date has passed, I found it funny that the older guests that I thought would have trouble with it didn’t, and our slacker friends who I kinda knew were coming never bothered to RSVP….I had to email them all.  Still happy I did it that way because the guest list and guest info is all stored online and I don’t have to worry about losing stuff…especially since I am starting to feel super overwhelmed as the date draws near!

Good luck!

Post # 7
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I ordered cardstock and designed some up in microsoft word then had them printed off at Office Depot. Cheap too. You can buy cardstock at Office Depot and Kinkos. They also cut huge stacks of paper

My RSVP tool (the knot’s) was a flunk. The older guests only RSVP’ed for themselves, so i had to follow up to find out if their SO was coming. Our friends had to enter two email addresses so I knew who the guest was. I did a trial and if you don’t get it EXACTY right it rejects it. A friend of mine used weddingwire and all i had to do was type in my last name and it pulled up "EJS Party" and then I think I clicked "1" out of "2" or somthing like that. I just remember that hers was better than mine. 

Still glad I did it becasue even though I included our home phone # for RSVP’s, only 10 people called. Out of 210 people. Everyone decided to call FMIL and let her know, so she’d keep a tab for us. It was really annoying. I was like, "dude, our phone # is right there, why don’t they just call at 11am when we’re at work?!?!?!" So, don’t waste your money on RSVP cards

Post # 8
68 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I would use DIY cards in your case because even though etiquette says to give 8 weeks, in the summer its best to give about 10- 12 weeks so people can plan their summer vacation.

Michaels is very good for invitations cheap and cheerful ones. Best of Luck

Post # 9
984 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

We’re using invitation kits from Micheal’s like Mrs.Spring above, we’re going to personalize them a little bit, too, not sure how but we did talk about making them a little more unique. They are pretty reasonable and look easy, FI is going to print them off at work to save some extra $$$ on ink (he ran it by his boss already). We’re also going to use a 25% off coupon. I think Micheal’s would be your best bet and just find some way to personalize them a little bit.

Post # 10
6 posts
Newbee

Zazzle offers a great place to buy cheap invitations and they are always offereing sales and discounts with promotional codes.

Here is an example:

Black & White Paisley Red Wedding Announcement postcard

Post # 11
383 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

I checked out Wedding Paper Divas just now and it looks like some of their stuff can be done in 4-5 days (in which I assume it will then take 2-3 days to get to you depending on where you are located). I think they have some super cute invitations available on their site and overall the best selection available on the internet (IMO). Just based on my personal opinion, I like their invites more than those that you can find at Michael’s and Target – plus with Michael’s and Target you still have to worry about printing everything yourself. I am not sure if your plan would be to print them at home or to print them at Staples/Kinkos but they each have their drawbacks; printing at home will give you a lot of stress (especially with only a week to finish [remember to have extra ink on hand as you will more than likely run out)] and printing elsewhere will cost you more than you may think. Just consider what works best for you before you make your decision so you are prepared. 

In regard to the second question… I guess I am a little confused as to why you would offer both an "e-RSVP" on your website and RSVPing through snail mail. Were you still planning on adding postage to the RSVP card since you said you wanted to still give your guests that option? If that is the case you are just giving yourself more work to track down who RSVPs online as opposed to in the mail and in the end you are not saving money if you are still including the return stamp.

The topic ‘Does anyone have any ideas for cheap invitations?? & RSVPing online??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors