Does anyone who had a baby at 27/28 wish they waited longer??

posted 2 years ago in Babies
  • poll: Do you wish you waited a while longer
    Yes : (11 votes)
    25 %
    No : (33 votes)
    75 %
  • Post # 2
    1104 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

Good question. Commenting to follow.

I’m 27 now and FI is pushing (ha! not literally, I’ll be doing that potentially ;-)) to have a baby in a year when I’m 28 (he’s a year and a half older than me, so he’d be 29 at that time). I’d rather wait until I’m 30 but understand there are pros and cons to both ages.

We are both finally getting settled in our careers (I’m just finishing grad school now) so I’d like to take time to save money, travel, and get settled in our forever house (that we will be looking for after our wedding this summer). So I feel there is so much to do before baby!

Post # 3
    1676 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

MissGeeBee:  I’m TTC at 32 and DH is almost 39. What I’m starting to think about is how long our children will have us. We want 2 or 3, so chances are good that our last will be when I’m in my late 30s and DH is well into his 40s. I worry that they will lose at least one of by the time they are our age. My parents are still youthful and in their fifties and will have a large role in the life of my children. It would suck not to have them. DH lost his mother when he was in his early 30s so it weighs on his mind too. I think about how every year that goes by is a year of their adult lives that their parents will be old or gone. I know this is morbid, but it’s something to consider when you’re starting to consider how long to wait. I even go so far as to think about MY grandkids and how old I’b be when they are born if my future kids wait until they’re 30something to breed. It’s depressing sometimes.

Post # 4
    5188 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: November 2009 - New York, NY

I had my first child at 27 and don’t regret it one bit.  I was mature enough to take on the challenge while young enough to have the energy.  Today both my children are in college and I still get to enjoy a satisfying career and quality time with my husband.

Post # 7
    2661 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

I had my first at 33 and my second at 37. That was perfect. I was established in my career and mature enough to parent. I wouldn’t have one past 40, though. I think the 30s are a great decade to have babies. 

Post # 8
    2614 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: March 2013

MissGeeBee:  Im 35 and have been TTC for a year. There’s no way we could have done it earlier based on our timeline and when we met. I’m not too concerned about our ages (as long as the second comes quickly) but I would like our parents to have a decent amout of time with their grandchildren and tbh we both feel like we are failing at the moment. You are still young. Habing said that, you need to bear in mind that it may take longer than you expect when you do TTC.

Post # 9
    4042 posts
    Honey bee

Posting to follow. I turn 26 in the next two months and we are in a good position (financially, emotionally, career-wise, etc) to TTC, but we plan on waiting at least 3 years. DH is open to trying anytime after we have been in our home for a year (so around summer 2015), but I am leaning toward me being at least 29. We want to go on a few more trips and I would like all our student loans to be paid off. We will see though.

Post # 10
    132 posts
    Blushing bee

I had my 1st at 19, 2nd at 22 and my 3rd 2 days before I turned 24. Personally, I love being a young mother, do I wish I had done certain things first (career etc) ? Yes I do but I have a perfect little family and I wouldn’t change it for the world. My partner is the bread winner I’m lucky enough to not have to work and get to spend those precious moments with my babies! 

You have to do what’s right for you.

Post # 11
    1654 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: January 2012

I don’t have any children yet, but I’m pregnant with our first, I found out 4 days before my 28th birthday.  We were trying (for a while), and I had my moments of “I’m still so young” and “Am I mature enough for this?!”, now that I’m pregnant I do still worry about having enough couple time and enjoying the life we have, but I’m so excited to have a little one I don’t think I’ll regret the timing one bit. I feel more ready now than I ever did before, so that helps.

That said, DH is 6 years older than me, so my biological clock was ticking for him, I wanted kids and I wanted them like 4 years ago, but I probably could have waited a year or two if DH had been closer to my age and been just as fine.

Post # 12
    576 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2016

GrannyPantiesRock:  I actually think the same way sometimes… I want to be still kinda “young” when I have my kids and grandkids so that I can enjoy the time with them, but I know that life for everyone is kinda “pushed back”, meaning that in their twenties, ppl concentrate on their careers first etc. So I am totally torn aha. and when my teachers back in univ taught us that fertility rates drop by 50% after the age of 30 in women… I do get scared xD

Post # 14
    1648 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2000

I’m currently pregnant and 33, which is perfect for me.  I had my 20s to explore the world and work my way up the corporate ladder.  I also got pregnant in under 2 mo of going off BC so not sure if I believe the hype that fertility drops after 30.  Everyone around me is in their 30s and have had no issues getting pregnant!    

Post # 15
    274 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: December 2014

I’m 28 and pregnant with my first. Not gonna lie, even though I’ve had baby fever for at least 3 years, I would have preferred to wait another couple of years. Having my first baby at 30-31 would have been ideal for me. Even though I have traveled a lot, lived in 3 continents, finished all my degrees, have no student debt, I would have preferred being more “settled” (financially, profesionally, and also having had more alone time with my FI, not to mention, having had the wedding first!). However, I’m glad I don’t have to worry about age-related infertility (because having at least one biological child is something that I always wanted) and also that I’ll still be relatively young when my kids are my age (my dad is 76 and even though he’s completely healthy I worry SO much about him). Once the baby is here though, hopefully I’m gonna feel and say what most parents feel/ say: I wouldn’t change a thing. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors