- 5 years ago
- Wedding: November 2011
When DH and I moved here for his job, he wanted to be SUPER close to work b/c he hates commuting. We were lucky enough to find a great place less than a mile from work. I also now work at the same location (different building though.) Great right???
Well, DH’s company recently took over at another site and until they can fill the positions, they decided to send DH and another guy there. It’s a minimum of a 30 minute (highway) commute. With the recent bad weather, it can take upwards of an hour each way. There was talk of reimbursing him for mileage but they now refuse to do so.
Originally the company said it would be temporary (few weeks) but with the gov’t budget issues, they’ve now said it could be for a couple more months (maybe longer)…until the company gets paid to move the new people here.
1) DH’s original work location is very political and everyone has to be careful who they talk to or associate with b/c it can make or break you. Most of his coworkers dislike the location but they’re happy just to have a job especially right now.
2) The new place has TONS of work to do and DH says his days fly by. He also likes that he “helps” so many people at the new location and those people are extremely grateful…and in his words “the people there are NORMAL!”
3) DH is normally shy and usually only talks to a few people at work. At the new place, he goes to lunch w/a big group a couple of times a week and is apparently making new friends but given the distance, we can’t just go to dinner w/them or hang out.
4) In order to beat most of the traffic, he’s getting up and out the door 3 hours earlier than the original place. Sometimes he stays late just to wait for traffic to die down…but he’s there 10-12 hours a day now.
5) He’s normally a night owl (up til 2 am) but lately, he comes home (6-7 pm), we eat, watch a show, and he’s ready for bed…at 8:30/9:00…which has cut into “sexy time.” He also can’t wait to get to work in the morning and jumps right out of bed instead of me having to constantly try to wake him.
6) His other coworker mentioned that HE likes the new place and would LOVE to stay there but he can’t b/c of the commute and he’s too far away from his wife/kids. DH has now started talking about staying there permanently but we’d have to pay to move and DH isn’t 100% on board with that idea…paying that is. So he’s willing to continue the commute…even though he knows it’s costing him time and gas money.
7) This new location is where FIL will be moving to soon and DH’s coworker told him he thought it would be weird to be working w/his dad…which DH doesn’t seem to mind.
I get that DH was stressed at his previous work location but he’s become a different person since this new place. He does come home early (3-5 pm) sometimes but only when I’m working late…so our schedules are obviously different. In the past week, he’s been blasting music and singing/dancing around when I come home, which has caught me off guard since he’s usually grumpy (at the old place) when he comes home and it’s super rare to see him “dancing” around.
He also mentioned US going out drinking w/a couple of his (previous) work buddies this weekend. He normally doesn’t want to unless it’s for a celebration, event, holiday but he says he can’t wait to go out partying this weekend…I was upset that our only “real” weekend night to be alone in the last few weeks, he wants to spend w/his coworkers.
I want him to be happy at work (since he’s the breadwinner) but I feel like the new location has cut into our personal time…which upsets me but DH doesn’t seem bothered by it. When I DO mention the drastic increase in hours he’s gone, he says I should be happy that he’s so happy.
So could it really be that he dislikes his old work location and enjoys the new one?