Post # 1
My little chihuahuarat terrier mix that we adopted has been very lazy the last 2 days and we chalked it up to the winter snow storms that have hit. It wasnt until tonight that I noticed he has a very swollen lymph node on just his left side of his neck. Probably the size of a walnut. He doesnt yelp or anything if i touch it or press on it. I even checked his throat to make sure there wasnt anything lodged in his mouth. Nothing. I looked online as to a cause for his and almost everything has said some sort of infection or cancer 🙁
I hope to be able to get him to the vet tomorrow. in the mean while, has anyone else had this happen with their fur babies ?
Post # 3
@MrsRuby: I’d take him to the vet, just to be safe. I used to be in a dog forum and this girl had a lab. She noticed one day that one of his lymph nodes was swollen and took him and it turned out to be cancer.
Edit: Sorry, I didnt notice where you said youre hopefully going to take him tomorrow. I hope you get to go. Good luck!
Post # 4
@MrsRuby: could be from a tooth or gum infection, or impaction (not always visible). Having 4 chihuahuas myself, I can tell you it is very common for the breed. Does he have smelly breath? Definitely take him to the vet either way. Any type of infection can lead to an enlarged heart in small dogs.
In April my Lily’s face had a lump. It turned out to be her teeth. At only 4 years old I did not think her teeth would be an issue. She had to have 17 teeth removed and a hole in her palate repaired (the infection ate away at her palate). I have a lot of dog experience (worked at an animal hospital for years) and I never saw clear cut dental issues with her. Most of her issues were caused from residual baby teeth.
Thought I would include pictures for a reference for you. In the first picture you see a bump beneath her right eye. My entire family thought I was crazy but I brought her to the ER that night and sure enough I was right. Lily was not acting in pain at all, despite having a massive infection that was rotting away her teeth and hard palate. Dogs may not tell you when something is seriously wrong. The 2nd pic, is Lily just hours after her surgery, with no bump.
Post # 5
@SparkleBee11: he just went to the dentist a couple months ago and had a few teeth pulled and all of them cleaned.
Post # 6
The day after we adopted our puppy, she started having a snotty nose – we took her back to the humane society to get her checked out, and they prescribed her some antibiotics. she had one lymph node at the back of each cheek. she got better after a few days. Just to warn you, just like people, lymph nodes can take a while to go down even after you get treated/feeling better. She still has a small lymph node on one side, it’s getting smaller but we got her in mid-June, and it’s still there months later.
Post # 7
Not to scare you, but when we took our dog child in for swollen lymph nodes last year, it turned out she had lymphoma, and passed away about 4 months later 🙁 RIP, sweet pup.
Obviously it was an extreme case, but it definitely can be serious.