(Closed) Dog peed in house twice this weekend & she never does that :(

posted 7 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
558 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

You should have the vet check her for a bladder or kidney infection. Generally when dogs peed where they normally don’t and know they shouldn’t, it’s because they can’t help it. Is she acting like she “knows” she did something wrong?

Post # 4
229 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I agree with Snowflake! Give the vet a call. Lots of times pups will do this when they’re not feeling well! I hope she’s okay!

Post # 5
2821 posts
Sugar bee

Has she showed other signs of being stressed with the move?

Post # 6
944 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

I third the suggestion by Snowflake!  My mom’s dog (a small Silky Terrier) was given up to a vet and the previous owner’s wanted her put down because she just started to pee around their house all the time.  The vet did an exam and told them she had a bladder infection, they didn’t care and wanted her put down.  Thankfully, the vet has in the documents for that if the vet does not agree and the couple is willing the vet will take the dog for no charge and the couple just abandoned her! 

I hope your dog is okay!  I was gonna say maybe she doesn’t like to be left alone but reading further I don’t think that’s the issue.  The only time my dog has peed in the house was when he was sick once and couldn’t wake me up to let me know he needed to go out, which he never does in the middle of the night.  It was so bizarre!

Good luck!!

Post # 7
58 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

is she on any medication?

our dog also never does this, but a few weeks ago, he was on some medication, and i think his body was trying to get rid of it, so he drank TONS of water and had to see every 2-3 hours, we had to wake up in shifts to let him out at night, and he would pee for THIRTY seconds.  

if you think this is similar to what’s going on, give her lots of water and take her out a lot…in a few days it will be better.

Post # 8
2695 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I would go to the Vet and check on the bladder infection.  Then if that isn’t it just start a log of when she’s doing this.  We had the same problem with our dog and we finally found out that she was going into a seizure and losing bladder control.  I hope that’s not the case for your pup because this hasn’t been fun.  Also, what about thunderstorms? My brother’s border collie gets really strange during them and hides in weird places.

Post # 9
2562 posts
Sugar bee

I am also on board with the suggestion to take her to the vet and have her checked for a bladder infection! If she does not have a bladder infection she might need to be crated when left alone for a while.

Post # 10
136 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

definitely take her to the vet. my dog is three and she is also potty trained. lately, she’s been doing the same thing. she’s even peed in her crate and shuffled to the corner of it to not step in the pee (she obviously wasn’t happy to have peed there)… turns out she has a bladder stone and a urinary tract infection. now she is on antibiotics and getting the stone surgically removed on thursday. there’s really no way to prevent it, some dogs just get them. i hope it’s not the case with yours but it’s worth looking into. good luck with your baby! i know how frustrating it can be to pick up pee when you know she knows better.

Post # 13
654 posts
Busy bee

My guess is that is the high level of stress and change she’s been under. Any time my dog sees a box being packed she starts to freak out. Is there anything from the old house like a blanket or pillow she might be used to that you can train her to go to for comfort? If I recall right you’ve moved around a lot recently and I think she’s probably just uncomfortable because she hasn’t had a real sense of security lately. I would ask the vet for some tips in helping her adjust to a new living environment.

Post # 15
354 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

In addition to the scenarios posted by pps, it could be a bladder control problem, even though it may seem to you like she’s too young. Sometimes when dogs are spayed, it can affect their bladder control muscles (definitely get your pets spayed/neutered though!). Typically if it’s a bladder control issue, your dog will pee when relaxed (in her sleep) or when startled (like when your dryer buzzed). Your vet can prescribe meds to help if this is the case. Definitely see a vet if it happens again. Good luck!

The topic ‘Dog peed in house twice this weekend & she never does that :(’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors