dog peed on my brand new 2, 000 couch

posted 3 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
13021 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Sounds like she hasnt been trained.  You could try to crate train, but I’m not sure if that works on older pups.  Or you just have to watch her 24/7 to catch her in the actand make sure to scold her and interrupt her when it happens take her right outside.  Praise lots when she goes outside and take her right back in.

Post # 6
2565 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

@isabelle_86:  Find some books and resources on crate training and treat her just like a puppy.  She is not that old, and even older dogs can be housebroken if they are not.

Do NOT scold her for going in the house or rub her nose in it.  If you catch her going in the house you can get her attention to interupt her (or just pick her up because she is a small dog) and take her outside.  Anytime she goes outside, she gets a lot of praise and treats.

Also, she has been bounced around a lot recently so she probably is pretty stressed out about everything (she hasn’t been eating well either right?)  Crate training will also give her a safe place that is all her own.

Post # 7
1140 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

When my dog is scared she goes in the house. SHe does down to the basement . So maybe your pup is scared? Mine tends to do it when its thunderstorming or fireworks :(.

Post # 8
2394 posts
Buzzing bee

Sorry this happened to you!

Dogs + $2,000 to spend on furniture = leather sofas from now on. This is just my advice. I like keeping things clean, and leather can be wiped down. We put plush throws over the leather sofa and that way the throws can be washed in the laundry.

As far as potty training… try the crate, and when you know your dog needs to “go,” take her outside and give her lots of praise, loving and treats when she goes potty outside. When she is inside, watch her like a hawk and the split second she looks like she’s about to go potty on the furniture/carpet, take her outside and wait for her to go so that you can again keep giving her that positive reinforcement.

Time consuming and a pain, I know — been there done that. Don’t waste your time giving negative reinforcement if she has an accident indoors — it doesn’t work. It takes a few weeks, but once she  realizes that she will get rewarded for going outside, trust me— she will be running to the door and begging to be let out.

Another idea that has worked for me in the past when I had small dogs — we bought those disposable bed pads — you can find them in the drugstore aisle where they sell adult diapers. It’s like a plastic waterproof sheet on one side and absorbent cotton on the other. We put it on the floor in a spare bathroom and trained our dogs to do their business on the “pee pads.” They learned quickly and it was great for those times when we worked long days and couldn’t get home to let them outside. When we got home from work, no fuss, no muss — we just threw away the used “pee pad” and laid out a fresh one. 

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Post # 12
2394 posts
Buzzing bee

She will probably love having her own bed. Good idea! I think if you go to the pet store, they also have cleaning products specially designed to clean the smell/odor out of furniture and rugs. Also too, something that may help– those little Bissell steam cleaner machines with the suction tools. You put hot water and detergent in the machine, and spray it on the dirty area, then vaccum it back up with the suction tool. They sell them at Target. When my silky terriers got older and started having accidents, that little Bissell steam cleaner saved my life. 

Post # 13
4223 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

take her outside every hour or so, and every 20 mins after she eats. Go out with her on a leash. Wait for her to do her buisness. When she does, make a big huge deal about it. GOOOOD GIRL WHATTA GOOOD DOGGY and pet her like crazy. (This will only work if she gets praise, cuddles, petted and such at home). Give her a treat right away when she goes as well. Then you have to teach her to ask to go outside. My dogs all kind of figured that out on their own though. 

Post # 14
1043 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

to get the urine smell out – use bioactive cleaner. It’s the best, it has enzymes in it that literally break down the urine particles (it also works wonders on mud stains =) ) I tried SO MANY different cleaners before I found one that worked.

You can definately potty train an older dog. I have a 2 year old greyhound rescue I’m currently fostering, and because he grew up in kennels and was only taken out to race, he had no idea where or when to pee, but he’s getting the hang of it =) 

Make sure to go crazy and praise him/her when they do their stuff outside, they’ll be so happy that they made you happy, that they’ll want to do that again and again, and eventually they’ll do it without needing a crazy praise. Yes you’ll look like an idiot, and most of your neighbours will stare, but it’s so worth it.

Post # 16
6884 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2014 - A castle!

@isabelle_86:  A steam cleaner should take care of your couch problem. You can rent them from most department stores. Also, when we bought our couch new it came with a protection plan on the fabric and the store will clean it for free. Do you maybe have a similar contract you might have forgotten about? With ours, if we never use the spot cleaning treatment the store offers, they will actually give us a $400some credit towards the purchase of a new couch after I believe 5 years. Pretty good policy!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors