(Closed) Down the Road – Why men may have a mid-life crisis

posted 7 years ago in Relationships
Post # 3
Hostess
18646 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Ugh.  There are no words.

Post # 4
Member
1325 posts
Bumble bee

Ehh. While a lot of these sorts of articles do have truth to them regarding biological instincts, I take them with a grain of salt. It may be true that these things go on subconsciously, but the great thing about humans, that is often not mentioned, is that we are advanced enough organisms to choose to act beyond our biological needs and subconscious urges.

We are not slaves to actions that are sound from an evolutionary standpoint, like men impregnating as many women as possible.

Post # 5
Member
9029 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

@Tunacupcakes: I agree, not every guy has a meltdown and leaves his wife for a younger model.

Post # 9
Member
3049 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: January 1991

Hm, that’s weird IMO. We don’t even want kids!

Post # 10
Member
7771 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

My husband doesn’t even want me to have babies, he wants to adopt so that “I don’t have to go through all that,” -his words!

Post # 11
Member
2154 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

@Brigadoon303: Pretty much every culture I can think of is pretty youth-obsessed, at least when it comes to women. And the media just loves to use “biology” to tell people what they want to hear. I think I’d like to preemptively block every article that mentions human evolution or adaptation that’s not actually about human evolution or adaptation. 

Post # 12
Member
11397 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

I think its rubbish if I may say so myself. If a man leaves his 40-50 some year old wife for a 20 some year old woman it more than likely has nothing to due with babies but more so sexual desire and drive/physical attractiveness. Atleast that is my opinion. Any other bee’s agree?

Post # 13
Member
2392 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

As soon as I saw, as I suspected, that the article was written by this guy I stopped reading.  This guy is obsessed with writing articles based on very dubious science that assert how we’re nothing more than sexist, racist, appearance-obsessed monkeys because, hey, our ancestors were once cavemen who we know (again, based on limited evidence) must have acted that way.

Post # 14
Member
1325 posts
Bumble bee

@Entangled: I thought he seemed familiar. He’s written some other pretty sexist stuff if I remember correctly that I’ve seen brought up on here I think.

Post # 15
Member
1626 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

So basically this says if you want to keep your man happy, don’t age, especially your uterus.

Wow its special…

I’m sorry but I know waaay too many happily married people in their 50s, 60s, and 70s. None of them would want to “trade in” their wife for a younger model. 99% of it is out of love for their partner and knowing they are with the right person but the other 1% is because dating is a pain in the ass and I’m sorry but when I’m 50 a 21 year old hard bodied Calvin Klein model would probably just irritate me.

Post # 16
Member
2154 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

@Entangled: No way! I was about to mention Kanazawa the Cockwaffle in order to disparage Psychology Today as a publication, but thought better of it for some reason. 

The topic ‘Down the Road – Why men may have a mid-life crisis’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors