Dress alteration crisis???111

posted 3 years ago in Dress
Post # 2
Hostess
9919 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2014

it’s always best to order to fit your body now, just in case.  You also don’t know where you’ll lose the weight (For example, I lost 15 pounds and my chest measurement is the same, my bras size has actually gone from a 36C to a 34D as a result)

I think it’ll be fine to be taken in, it doesn’t have a lot details that would be lost and the skirt will be forgiving!

Post # 3
3280 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I bought a sample dress which is huuugee, I’m literally swimming in it even with the corset. It should be no problem to alter it down, that’s what alterations are for. Especially with a corset it should be totally fine!

Post # 4
11740 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

You definitely can go in a size or two pretty easily.  It’s smart to order the dress at your current size.  Seamstresses can do miracles with alterations, so don’t stress!

Post # 7
2261 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

What my bridal store told me……. you can always shrink the dress down as much as is needed, the hard part is making it bigger. Trust them, if they say they can do it, they will make it happen. Don’t worry about loosing as much weight as you want. 

Post # 8
4641 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

I’m having a similar dilemma. I ordered my dress back in the summer, and it just arrived… and I’m swimming in it. I’m irritated because I insisted on ordering the size smaller, and they refused.

I could stand to lose between 5-10 pounds and am now terrified about the fact that they already need to size it down twice before I’ve even had a fitting..

Allegedly seamstresses can work miracles and sizing down is easier than up. I hope this is true!

Post # 10
6273 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: March 2014

This happened to me. I bought my dress in a size 14, and they had to take several inches out of it by the time my wedding day rolled around. I think it will be fine, but the key is to find an extremely skilled seamstress. Mine had decades of experience and even though she took it way in and then had to let it out a tiny bit afterward, you could never tell the difference. Don’t expect the alterations to be cheap, but to me looking the way I wanted to on my wedding day was priceless.

Post # 11
9533 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

I absolutely agree with the salon saleswoman. I’ve seen way too many brides panicing because they didn’t lose enough weight or didn’t lose it in the right places or whatever. It’s always easier to take things in than to let them out. So I would just be excited about your dress and worry about the fit once it actually comes in and after you’ve lost some weight, so you know what you’re dealing with. A seamsteress can do wonders!!!

Post # 12
686 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I think you will be okay. I’m not a seamstress, but I once had a dress altered from a size 20 down to a size 4. My family friend literally took apart every seam of the dress, made a smaller pattern, and re-sewed it together. It wasn’t a wedding gown; it was a formal dress I wore as part of a touring choir, so probably not as complicated, but it was doable, and you’re probably going to be dealing with someone who works with gowns all the time. 

Post # 13
4641 posts
Honey bee

ravenhairedgirl_12:  Allure 9052- I don’t have a pic and the dress looks terrible on the model in comparison to how it looks in real life.. BUT, it has a corset top that’s all lace, with boning, and a sheer back.. quite detailed. Which is why I was concerned, they assured me there was no issue. Your dress also has a detailed top, so you should be ok.

Can you put it in writing to them that you’re concerned about fit/ alterations and weight loss? I did, they reassured me through email that there wouldn’t be an issue. I’ll hold them to their word if there’s an issue during my fitting in 2 months.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  KC-2722.
Post # 15
4641 posts
Honey bee

ravenhairedgirl_12:  That’s was terrified me too.. Why would they say only 2 sizes if it is possible to go smaller?!! Anyways, good luck! Your dress is beautiful and you shouldn’t have any issues!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors