Hey I’m in Boston too! I’m picking up my dress this Friday and heading straight to alterations (don’t want to keep the dress in my tiny apartment shared with Fiance and two cats!) So I may be going in a little early relative to my June wedding, but I couldn’t help it because my dress got done 2 months early!
I am going to try Sabella Couture. I loved talking to the proprietor on the phone, she was very nice and answered all my questions, and I had a nice rapport with her which is important when you’re handing over your dress! I don’t know how much it’s going to cost, however. She told me I’ll get an quote when I come in for the consultation and she guarantees the price won’t change (ie no hidden costs or surprises), unless you do something like lose a ton of weight and it needs to be re-altered.
I understand that there are a few other places which the Hive have suggested for alterations. I compiled a list (I searched through the entire board for any “Boston Alterations” post!) I am also VERY concerned about the cost of alterations, so it might seem odd that I am doing them in downtown Boston where it’s guaranteed to cost more than the suburbs. However, since I don’t have a car, any trip to the suburbs will cost me like $40 for a Zipcar per trip so I was thinking that it might just be cheaper (and a lot lot easier) to just stick within T-range. But I am on a strict budget and if Sabella Couture exceeds it by too much I may need to look into the suburbs 🙁 Fingers crossed!
Anyway, here’s my list:
– Queen Dressmakers in Cambridge
– Anahit Bridal Alterations by Anahit, Newton, MA, 617-795-1940 (Mrs. Toucan went here and has a long couple blog entries on it: http://www.weddingbee.com/2008/04/18/the-awkwardness-of-alterations/)
– Ana Hernandez, Downtown Boston
– Seams Alterations, Wenham, MA, telephone: 978 473-3398
– Sabella Couture, Downtown Boston
– Chris O’Hare, Quincy, 617.471.7366 (No website but google her and reviews say she’s awesome)
– Simply Barbara, Quincy
– Best Fit, Newbury street
I’ll try to remember to repost my experience with Sabella Couture and the price of alterations if you’re interested! Lol though if I forget and you’re still interested private message me!