Post # 1
Okay Hive – I am in need of some serious help! Here is the situation:
I found THE dress at a local dress boutique. Two nights ago, I got an email that invited me to said boutique’s GOING OUT OF BUSINESS sale! I thought, “Huh. They never told me they are going out of business when I ordered my dress just over a month ago…”
So today I marched up to the boutique to get some answers. I spoke to the owner who told me the following:
– After having been in business in the area for 16 years, they are, indeed, closing up shop. The owner’s husband recently retired and they would like to travel during their retirement.
– They have already ordered my dress from the manufacturer. If I choose to cancel my order now, I (of course) forfeit the 50% deposit I put down on the dress, as per the contract I signed when I ordered my dress.
– They are going to contact the manufacturer and have them ship the dress to the owner’s home address, at which point she will meet me at a nearby (hopefully still in business) boutique. There, I will inspect and try on my dress before paying the balance on it.
When I (and my mom) spoke to the owner, neither of us got a “Uh Oh…” feeling from her, but it would be naive to think that we should 100% blindly trust her.
So, hive, here’s my question: Should I order my dress from another boutique to make sure I have it? Or should I wait until I’m supposed to get my dress (first week of November) and hope that, if indeed I do not get my dress, I will have enough time to rush order and alter it by my March 20 wedding?
Has anyone else been in this situation? Help!!
Post # 3
I would see if you could get a phone number to the manufacturer and talk with somebody there. She should provide this to you. I would much rather have the dress mailed to my house (or another shop that sells their dresses and is still in buisness) than have it to go the old owners house.
Post # 4
I agree that you should definitely try to speak to the manufacturer and verify that the dress is being made and will ship on that particular date. I would be a little leary of having it shipped to the owner’s house. That seems a little odd. I would see if they could ship it to you for sure.
It also seems weird that they would still be ordering dresses for brides knowing that they were going out of business. Hmmmm….I would be tempted to complain until I got my deposit back. If it didn’t come in for some reason in Nov. it would be really pushing it to get the dress of your dreams shipped and altered by March. I’m really sorry that you are in this situation!!!
Post # 5
Unfortunately, without you having paid for the dress in full, It is unlikely the manufacturer or the salon owner would allow for the dress to be shipped to you. If it is possible for you to pay the remainder, I am sure you could make the arrangements to have the dress shipped directly to you. This way you could handle alteration arrangements yourself and not have to worry if she is no longer available. If you are unable to pay the balance, your options could be limited. However, if for any reason you feel there is an issue, contact the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint so there is a record of what transpires. This will make it easier to take legal action later if it should come to that. BUT, I seriously doubt that would be neccessary. If they have been in business for 16 years I think it would be fair to say the salon owner has a good understanding of customer service and would honor her commitment. If you are still uncertain, talk to her and put the agreement in writing. She most likely has several brides in your shoes that she has made the same commitment to, so I really don’t think she would leave you high and dry. Good luck!
Post # 6
I had problems with a shop closing when I was a bridesmaid. However, that woman didn’t even tell us, they just closed up shop and left town. Something about back rent and back taxes.
With this company, it sounds like if they’ve been in business for 16+ years and were up front about their situation to you. They seem credible. I would see if you can get them to draft and sign an ammended contract for the change in work. I’m sure the contract you signed doesn’t mention anything about another salon or seamstress. I would have them put something in writing to you with their signature on it and the signature of the new salon they are working with, showing the agreement to follow-up business at the new salon. That way, you have something in writing that shows what the plan is.
Also, I agree. See if you can call the manufacturer. From experience though, most manufacturers can’t even look up an order unless you have the store’s ID number. You might think ABC Bridal is the only one in your area, but there could be 10 or more ABC Bridals in the US. The manufacturer needs the ID to look up your order.
I’d at least try to talk to them first so you don’t loose out on your money.
Post # 7
If they’re having a sale I would ask for the discount on the dress and tell them you’ll go somewhere else if you have to. But that’s just me. I think it’s sad they didn’t tell you!