Due 2/16. When to have a shower?

posted 3 years ago in Pregnancy
  • poll: Best timing for baby shower (due 2/16)
    Dec 1 : (15 votes)
    34 %
    Dec 8 : (9 votes)
    20 %
    Jan 5 : (9 votes)
    20 %
    Jan 12 : (10 votes)
    23 %
    Other (please explain) : (1 votes)
    2 %
  • Post # 3
    10834 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

@babycakes24: I’d avoid January as you’d be very close to your due date. I voted 1st Dec so that it’s still before the holiday season but not that close where people could have lIt’s of other things going on.

Post # 5
    135 posts
    Blushing bee

I thought showers were something others throw on your behalf.  Shouldn’t the hostess choose a date that works for her?  If you throw your own shower it will come off as gift-grubby.

Post # 7
    613 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2010

I’m due Febuary 11, and am having three showers. One December 6, one December 14, and one January 3.  I think the earlier the better if it works for you and your hostesses.

Post # 8
    1019 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

I just threw a shower for a friend of mine and it was almost exactly one month before her due date. The only downside with that was that she was ready to start nesting and getting everything together well before the shower, so she had to hold off on doing some things. 

I think you’d probably have a better turnout if you waited until January. Early December is so soon it doesn’t leave much time for planning and sending out invitations.

Post # 10
    1495 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

I voted December 1.  I had a friend who was due around a similar time as you last year, and she had already had the baby at the shower.  It wasn’t a big deal in regards to the shower, but the baby was still in the hospital at the time, so she had to leave him to come to the shower.  I think December 1 is far enough away from Christmas that you will be fine.

Post # 12
    6525 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: September 2013

@babycakes24:  All baby showers I have been too, they had it a month before the due date. But being that its around holiday season and I dont know if you would feel comfortable having a baby shower so close to your due date,. So I voted Dec 1 but Dec 8 would be just fine too if your worried about people traveling

Post # 13
    11772 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: May 2013

@babycakes24:  I’m due 2/13, and my shower is 11/2! We were worried about the holiday season, too.

I voted 12/8. That way you’re at the half-way point between Thanksgiving and Christmas!

I (am a terrible person) would also pick a date in December, mostly for the gift quality (I know! I know! I said I was terrible!) but people are SUPER generous before Christmas, and super broke after Christmas!

Post # 14
    1563 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

@babycakes24:  I’m due Feb 2. My shower won’t be until Dec 28 due to out of town people who need to travel for it. I say go for early December. I wish mine was earlier just beause I know that I will probably be more uncomfortable in late December at 35 weeks!

Post # 15
    600 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2014 - Narrawallee reserve/beach & Mollymook golf club

Dec 1 beats the heart of the silly season AND will allow you enough time to buy whatever you don’t have after the shower while you’re not too uncomfortable. We had ours at 22+4 on Saturday and it was great because I’m not at that really uncomfortable stage yet (just moderately uncomfortable lol) and now I know what I need to buy and still have time to buy it while being able to walk more than a few metres at a time.

Post # 16
    832 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2012

I’m due 2/16 also and I’m having my shower Nov. 16th. Early yes but I’m so so glad we are having it before the holidays really start and it’ll give me plenty of time to prepare before baby and before I get too tired again! My ideal date was dec. 1st but do to some family trips many people wouldn’t have been able to make it, so I definitely suggest dec. 1st or even looking into nov. I haven’t had anyone complain about it being early… Actually everyone has said they are so glad it’s before dec. because they’re broke once Christmas shopping starts. Good luck n congrats! 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors