Elderly neighbors called 911 for "domestic disturbance"…

posted 3 years ago in Relationships
Post # 3
3340 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

Oh my! Sounds like the neighbors just wanted some excitement and something to gossip about! What did the cops think? Do you have a basement? I would maybe reserve arguments to the basement from now on! Haha!

Post # 4
2992 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I would be more pissed than humiliated. I would also be prancing outside in a thong and waving hi to all those busybodies. Everybody has a yelling match every now and then! They will get over it and so will you.

Post # 5
2151 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

Yikes! Unfortunately this is really common. I work in the courthouse in an office that deals mainly with domestic violence and this happens quite often. Think of it this way, though. At least your neighbors care enough to call the police when they thought you were in danger. Better to be safe than sorry. I’m hoping that they didnt take your husband in, did they? I wouldnt be surprised since thats pretty common her if a DV is called in. Obviously heated arguments happen but it can sound pretty bad from the outside sometimes if you can’t see what’s really going on!

Post # 6
1987 posts
Buzzing bee

@ms_margarita:  I know some neighbors can be complete busy-bodies and stick their noses where they don’t belong, but in their somewhat defense, I called one time as well when our downstairs neighbors were fighting loudly because I genuinely felt the girl was going to get hurt. I’d much rather err on the side of caution and not have her get hurt and be upset at me that I called the police rather than something bad happen.

Is there a chance you were upset and slammed the door after your grandmother left and that’s what the neighbor saw? 

Post # 8
2151 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

@ms_margarita:  I’m happy that the police were so understanding about it! 

Post # 9
11772 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2013

@ms_margarita:  That’s a little bit funny!

My Father once accidentally injured my sister with a chainsaw after catching her showering with her boyfriend (he kicked in the bathroom door and turned on the chainsaw to scare them–she was 15, he was 19)

We had TWO cops show up 14 hours later! I’m impressed you got 6 within the hour!

Post # 10
2687 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2015 - Ketchum, ID

@BrandNewBride:  well that sounds unnecessary and dangerous. 

Post # 12
785 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Ugh, I’ve had elderly neighbors like that before. In large groups they like to stir up trouble. They are often so bored in their lives that they have to create drama or problems with others. The same can be said about a bunch of 18 yr olds as well. I second another poster’s suggestion of walking around in a thong. Give the ignoramus something to gawk at lol.

Post # 13
772 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@BrandNewBride:  Your father is hilarous but also a little scary/crazy.

Post # 14
263 posts
Helper bee

To be fair, if my neighbours were shouting and crying loudly enough that they could be heard outside their appartment/through the walls, I wouldn’t be giving them the benefit of the doubt, I’d be calling the police. 

They might not even have called because they thought he was hurting you, they might have called just because you were disturbing the peace- if they spoke to your grandma and knew you weren’t being hurt, they probably just wanted you to shut up. It’s not nice for other people to have to listen to domestic disputes.

If anything, the neighbours probably think you’re “that couple who caused a scene for the whole neighbourhood to hear” not “that battered wife and her abusive husband”. Sorry to be harsh here, but my neighbours fight like that all the time and it’s beyond annoying.

If this was a one-off, you just have to accept that it’s embarrassing, but people will forget it soon enough.

Post # 16
263 posts
Helper bee

@BrandNewBride:  Your father sounds like a psychopath and an idiot. Best way not to “accidentally” hurt someone with a chainsaw? Don’t be the kind of psychopathic idiot who waves a chainsaw round to scare people. Would this still be a funny anecdote (or at least one you feel able to share in a flippant way) if he’d cut off her arm, or done the same with a shotgun and shot her?

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors