Employment Conundrum! Need advice Quick!

posted 3 years ago in Career
Post # 3
10906 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

@dewingedpixie:  If you accept the newer offer, you need to be prepared to honor your word and take that job, even if the contractual position later comes through.  If you think there is any reason you will not be able to do that, then definitely don’t accept the other offer.

If your gut tells you that you will not be happy long term with the job that seems to have so many challenges and you would only be accepting it out of fear of the contractual position not coming through, then don’t take the “safer” offer.  Wait for the contractual position, even though it may not come through. These are not the only two jobs in the world, and it doesn’t make sense — just three weeks after being laid off from your job — to lock yourself into a new job that you have little interest in taking.

If you had not been working for a much longer period of time, and you did not have a contingent offer on the table, I would be responding in a different manner.

Finally, when declining the second company’s offer, you could always explain that you have received a contingent offer for a contractual position that is more in keeping with your current goals and you plan to accept it but that if for any reason your plans should change, and the second company still has not filled the position, you would be interested in further discussions.

Post # 4
2367 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I’m going to disagree with Brielle here, but you have to understand the consequences.  You absolutely can take a job and tell them after you’re hired that something came up and you unfortunately you can no longer work there.  Understand that you WILL burn that bridge, and no one in management or HR there will EVER hire you again.  But you can absolutely take the safe bet and still be waiting on the one you really want. 

Post # 5
3077 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2015

@MariContrary:  +1



I 1000% agree with Mari here. You have to look out for yourself in this world. You absolutely do NOT have to keep the job even if you accept the offer. Yes, you COULD burn a bridge but you also have to remember, people understand if something better comes along, you’re likely going to take it. That’s why many companies try to focus on employee retention. Plus, the first 90 days are usually probationary anyway and they could for any reason decide you’re not working out for them and get rid of you. WHY on EARTH would you give up something better if it becomes avaiable just because you said yes to the one that’s on the table now?


Take the safer one for now and if the contract doesn’t come through, you’re at least employed. If the contract comes through, tell them thank you for the offer but you’ve been offered something that is much better for you.


Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors