Engaged two year planning 2015 too early?

posted 3 years ago in July 2015
Post # 3
1275 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

I started sort-of planning 2 years out, but didn’t really get the ball rolling until 18 months before.  I TOTALLY recommend this approach.  We locked in a great rate for a venue, for one, and we have tons of time to save/make reasonable payments instead of huge amounts gone all at once, and plenty of time to DIY stuff – if my DIY fails, oh well, I still have time!

Post # 4
23 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2015

I can share too! We’re looking at 1 week before you, and the main venue we’re considering doesn’t even let you book out until a year in advance so I can’t exactly book anything else, either – go figure. I’m a planner and tend to consistently have a lot on my plate so I’m looking forward to having a lot of time but also hate being in limbo. On the plus side, we get a lot of time to plan some truly insipred and creative details 🙂

Post # 5
2125 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

Yup! Not officially engaged yet, but should be within a couple months or even this month if I’m lucky. We are going to have a long engagement as well. We are students so the extra time will be good for a number of reasons. I love that we will have more time to gather up things at a leisurely pace, which means we can save money! We’ve discussed colors, guest list, and venue. Full disclosure, I have bought a couple things. 

Post # 6
901 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

Two years out here as well! We found a venue we like and since we have so much time to save, we are probably able to afford it and not go into debt! I love the idea of planning early. 

Post # 7
2661 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

@TashandWil:  our wedding date is 4/11/15, but we booked it last month. So about 20 months early. We had a specific date in mind, that is almost 2 years away, so we snagged it early! I think it’s fine (and smart) to book early if you’re having a long engagement. We have our venue, the date we want, and have removed the stress of trying to find a venue! And now it’s 19 months from today! 🙂

Post # 8
646 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

My engagement will be 2 years and 3 months long. I looked at pinterest and a lot of magazines to get an idea of everything, but I waited until 13 months out to book anything. I would recommend booking the big things (venue, photographer, videographer, wedding coordinator, DJ, etc) a year and a half to a year in advance so that you can get your favorite picks for your date. For example, a photographer I wanted was already booked for my date 13 months in advance. I booked venue, coordinator, photographer, videographer, DJ all 11-13 months in advance. I booked officiant, baker, florist, and bought wedding dress 9-10 months in advance.

Post # 12
314 posts
Helper bee

@ltj14:  I agree. We are having a long engagment too. I am going to look at vendors starting this fall. We only have booked our venue. I know who I am going to use for engagment pictures though, and she’s so inexpensive with the talent she has. That’s basically it.

I want to start going to bridal shows this fall since FI doesn’t get what I mean when I say I want a good DJ. I worked probably 100s of weddings in college so I definitely got to know what I do and do not like in regards to wedding vendors and decor. I do not want a cheesy DJ. I think like PP have said it’s great bc you get your pick of favorite vendors.

Post # 13
2661 posts
Sugar bee

@TashandWil:  crazy story: our venue is actually where we had our prom! We started dating a few weeks before senior prom (7.5 years ago). I had a hangup over having our wedding where we had our prom, but it’s really affordable and gorgeous! It was the second venue we visited, and we basically decide while we were there. About 2 days later, we booked it. Best of luck on your venue hunt! I get stressed easily, so I think getting the big things planned early is awesome and takes so much pressure away!

Post # 14
23 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2015

Ahh I’m so jealous of you guys who have your venues already. I’m really nervous that our top choice won’t let us book until a year out – especially in relation to getting our photographer (whom I’ve had my eye on for 4 years and am determined to have shoot our wedding and regularly books out over a year for summer) … I was hoping to elongate the process but without the venue I feel like I can’t truly start anything. Problem is, FH is dead set on this particular venue and it’s the one thing he won’t budge on – darn!

Post # 15
825 posts
Busy bee

I’m getting married in June 2015 🙂 We’re booking the big things (Venue, DJ, Photog/Videographer) early. We’re looking at venues next month and will be putting a deposit down then. Don’t let anyone tell you it’s a long wait, I’ve been engaged for a month and it’s already wooshing by.

Post # 16
433 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

FH and I are getting married pretty much 2 years from the date he proposed, and let me tell you, the last 5 months have FLOWN by. There’s no harm in planning in terms of getting a general idea of what you want! We’ve had a few discussions about what we want in terms of venue, reception ideas, etc (ours will be a DW in Maui with close family and friends, so nothing too crazy), but the actual planning in terms of setting things in stone will probably start at the end of this year/early next year.

He initially thought 2 years was a really long time to wait to get married, but time flies and we’re happy that we have a little more leeway in terms of figuring out the wedding details 🙂 happy planning!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors