Post # 1
My first post here and you may think this is a little off topic. However I’ve read many of the posts on here and this seems to be a great forum with lots of advice.
I’m considering proposing to my partner within the next few weeks. Originally, I had a loose plan to propose next summer but now that I’ve begun looking and planning it feels like ‘why wait?’!
I had never imagined a Christmas proposal. However my partner is travelling away for Christmas to the other side of the world and unfortunately I cant be with her. Now I’m unsure if I should wait until she returns in the New Year.
On the plus side she would be able to share her news with her family and friends that she only gets to see once or twice a year. And I know it would give them a great opportunity to go shopping for dresses and look for venues etc – experiences she rarely gets to spend with her mother, who she really misses.
On the negative side, we will only get a few days to enjoy together as an engaged couple before we’re apart for some time. More importantly, I am planning to propose with a token ring as I know she would love to choose her own ring. This would mean that she wouldnt have her official engagement ring until the new year.
So that’s my predicament. I hope you lovely people can offer me some advice?
Post # 3
I vote do it now, before Christmas. H proposed to me 2 weeks before Christmas and it was so much fun going home and sharing the news, in person, with my family and friends.
Also, tons of people get engaged at Christmas and then go venue hunting right after and places can book very fast. We put a deposit down on our venue right before Christmas and then went back after to finalize a few more things. The woman from the venue said that she had like 50 voicemails and emails when she returned from work from newly engaged couples trying to schedule appointments and that we were lucky we came in when we did. So depending on how long of an engagement you want, it might be a good idea, logistically, to do it before Christmas.
Post # 4
@fdc: My personal opinion is that if she hasn’t seen her family in a while and they’re so far away, it might be good to propose before she sees them so that she can share the excitement over the holidays. You will still have plenty of time with her when she comes back!
As for rings, i didn’t have my engagement ring for months as I also was proposed to with a token ring and then went the custom route. As long as it’s not a big deal to her, I don’t see why not!
Post # 5
I agree with doing it before her vacation!
Post # 6
@fdc: First, congratulations on reaching this stage of your relationship! It’s a really exciting time!
I agree with PPs. Ask her before Christmas. It will make her trip to see her family twice as special since she’ll have such amazing news to share. And, like you said, it would give her an amazing opportunity to do some wedding stuff with her mother and family as well.
Best of luck!
Post # 7
- Wedding: August 2013 - Rocky Mountains USA
Definitely before! I would be sooo much happier to be able to tell all my friends and family that I don’t see often, even with a stand-in ring. And just having a few days together beforehand is fine – you’ll get to celebrate, and you have the rest of your lives to spend together 🙂 Congrats (in advance)!
Post # 8
Do it now!! Then she can tell everyone and even look at rings, etc, which will help the family to be part of the excitement and everything! Also, becuase you don’t have that many days together, prolongs the happy feelings you get after you get engaged because they will be refreshed once you see each other again!!!
Post # 9
Thanks for all the sweet comments and encouragement! 🙂
I guess the answer is pretty unnanimous then! You’ve also given me a little more courage as although it’s exciting and something I want to do, I’m still pretty terrified. But it helps when I think of her reaction – she will be so surprised and hopefully bowled over.
I have a date already but now I have to decide on the setting. I’ve been looking for a couple of weeks and it’s not easy finding something unique (and not clichéd) in central London, although I am waiting to hear back from one special venue if they can accomodate us.
@RunsWithBears – did you have far to travel? Did he go with you?
@MelonSeeds – that makes me feel better about the ring – thank you!
@LoggerHead91207@lolot@ducky244 – thanks for your encouragement!
Post # 10
@fdc: oooh you’re in london? take her skating at somerset house! or a winter picnic (hot chocolate and sweets) in covent garden?
congrats! so exciting
Post # 11
I agree with everyone else on the christmas engagment. So romantic! Please come back and give us all the detail after!!
Post # 12
Somerset House is definately an option, though it’ll be noisey and busy. It’s a beautiful place for the summer but not quite sure with the rink there. Covent Garden and Winter Wonderland inHyde Park pretty much the same and I think I’d like somewhere a little private. I do have a plan but it’s a long shot, depending on a hotels management and whether they are sympathetic to my cause.
(I’m also very glad no-one mentioned the London Eye. How I am sick of reading that one!)
Post # 13
@fdc: If it feels like “why wait” then…why wait? lol. Do it asap!
Post # 14
Well it seems as though my location plans have been scuppered and the old “engagement/wedding” extra price tag coming into effect already.
The hotel wants to charge me £250 for brief access to their balcony and champagne/strawberries in the bar. While it would be romantic, that’s a lot of money that could be spent better elsewhere.
Back to the search…. :/
Post # 15
@fdc: My advice is to do it now and propose with a solitaire – then use that center stone and change out the setting if she wants to. She may not want to since solitaires are classically beautiful and tons of women love them (I love them, even though it wasn’t my top choice, I wouldn’t have switched out my setting if that’s what my FI got me). But, do it now so she can spend that time planning – you will get to enjoy engaged bliss when she returns.
Post # 16
The main concern with the ring is that she has once mentioned in passing that she would prefer a sapphire to a diamond. I have no more detail than that and she would be very particular about the style. I would probably go for a diamond myself, perhaps with pave diamond/sapphire – but I know we’d have a lot of enjoyment choosing together.