Post # 1
Is anyone else having a really horrible engagement? it’s like a constant battle for me! one fight after the other… I am on edge just waiting for the next drama! we would be engaged for 15 months by the time we get married… really looking forward to the day after the wedding but it really shouldn’t be this way!!!!!
Post # 3
Sorry to hear you’re not so happy. Why exactly are you having a horrible engagement? Mine isn’t all butterflies and rainbows. Life does need to go on during this time. It’s not horrible though. It’s just… life.
Post # 4
Are you fighting with your fiance or your families or both? We’ve had our ups and downs, but I don’t think I’d say that I’ve had a horrible engagement. Sorry to hear that you’re not having fun
Post # 5
Ugh…I was right there with you! The only point during my engagement that was happy was the first week. The day I got engaged was the happiest day of my life, and then it all went downhill from there.
My mom made things really difficult for me to enjoy my engagement at all, and it was such a shame. I just wanted to let you know that I know how you feel and hopefully, the time will fly by and you’ll be on your honeymoon!
Post # 6
Well, I wouldn’t say horrible cuz I like to stay optimistic, but I have never been so stressed out in my life. I find myself putting off decision making because I know there is going to be someone family or FI who has a very vocal problem about it. I just can’t do anything without hurting someone’s feelings and then I am the one crying at night…geez.
We’ll all get through this, but I just hope the day is beautiful and worth it!!
Post # 7
Well, there are just so many things.
1. My parents can’t afford to pay for our wedding so his are but they have given my parents so much trouble over it so I feel so bad… paying for it ourselves wasn’t an option plus most things are already pretty much booked…
2. His Mother always makes petty remarks like “when girls are born their parents save for their wedding from day 1” etc or we would have much rather liked to have it at this venue as it was soooo much cheaper – says this in front of whole family…
3. had a massive fall out with a bridesmaid (i only knew her for 2 years so obviously not well enough!) we fought over something very stupid, I kept apologising so we could move on but she tood her ground and I had eventually had enough and told her not to be a bridesmaid.
4. now I am stuck organising my bachelorette as my other bridesmaid is in another country…. I am not close enough with my other girlfriends here to ask them to help me with this.
5. My fiance wants to write his parents names on the invitations first and then my parents names… fair enough ……. i don’t have a problem with this. Today I went on a website and created some invitations (3) so that I can send them to my family overseas as they will need to show these to the home office in order to apply for a visa. these are not the actual invites we will be sending. the actual invites will only be sent 6 weeks before the wedding and they can’t wait until then to apply for a visa…. on these “made up” invites, I put my parents names first and then his and he found out about it and went mental! he said that it is so disrespectful and I went behind his back bla bla bla bla…. and I already told him a million times that it is purely to help my family get a visa now and they are aware that it is not the genuine invite which they will receive later………….. he is upset ebcause his parents are paying for most of it so their names should go on first even if it is a “temporary/fake” invite – when I complain and argue I get “get that chip off your shoulder” why are you acting like a bridezilla?!!!!!
so furious! 🙁 this is just a VERY brief summary….
sorry….. i wish I had it as good as some…
Post # 8
No, every little girl’s parents do not save from the time they are born and that is not something that should be expected. It’s not about the parents, it’s about you and the man you love committing to each other for the rest of your lives! If I was going through what you’re going through, I would say thanks but no thanks and either elope or have a very small wedding with just family that you could afford yourselves. Cancel what you can in terms of bookings and offer to pay your in-laws back when you can afford it. It really is the marriage that’s the important thing, not the wedding. Weddings are celebrations. If it’s causing you so much misery and sadness, then it’s not a celebration and it’s not worth it! I wish you the best.
Post # 9
@margsie: I so agree with you, if you are having so many problems because of the money issue jsut dont accept it and elope…you dont want to remember your wedding as doing favors for them just because they are paying for it and you dont deserve to be put down by them. sorry for thiss ;(