European Brides 2014/2015?

posted 2 years ago in Beehive
Post # 3
19 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2015

Yes there is, Me 🙂 here is my story so far.

We are having a quite alternative wedding August 2015. The ceremony will be on the lakes in one of the lushest areas of Denmark. After the ceremony, the guests will be let of at the dock (in the picture) and right there we will set up a lovely tent, for the reception, near the tree line.

Pinterest and all the fantastic outdoor types of American weddings have obviously played its part in the inspiration process. I use “inspiration” in a very loose sense.It was really more of a confirmation process, since weirdly enough all these large elements of the wedding planning was my FIs ideas I just agreed they where good. He has planned more than I have…

My clever idea thus far has been to set up croquet and other garden games while we are off taking pictures. This will make for a good way of mixing in friendly/fierce competition (if I know my guests correctly).

It is not at all typical, but our families and friends seem to think it is going to be just as great as we do.

Oh… A truly unique tradition in Denmark is:

Several fractions of the family write personalized songs about the bride and groom based on well-known melodies.

The songs are usually telling the same stories about the relationship + the lyrics are always poorly matched with the melody. The song is printed, handed out to the guests and everyone are obliged to sing along…  It’s done for every occasion, even confirmations and birthdays! Personally, I despise this tradition and we don’t want ANY songs. I “jokingly” told my stepmom we would throw any rule breakers in the lake… 

Post # 5
3016 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2014 - Prague

I’m having a wedding in Prague in 4 days. But it’s not going to be very typically anything. I was raised in the US, and my FI is English. 

We are having a non-religious ceremony outside (unless it’s raining) at 5pm, and then a buffet reception starting just after. Dance party until well into the night.

Typically Czech weddings begin with a late-morning ceremony and then a family-only lunch. Guests go I don’t know where. Then you meet up again for the reception in the afternoon. But I think that sucks for guests, so I nixed it.

I guess the only Czech things I’m doing are: having the extended family all wear these tiny ribbons with a sprig of green. Also I’m not having a bridal party; just witnesses. And my SIL is  bringing typical czech pastries to pass out to guests. 

wedding: svatba

bride: nevěsta

groom: ženich

marriage: manželství

Post # 6
245 posts
Helper bee

I’m getting married in Spain in 12 weeks, on the island of Majorca. We’ve rented a large villa for both the ceremony and reception, we’re having a pretty non-traditional wedding all round, we’re being married by a non-religious celebrant in the villa garden, and having a catered wedding reception afterwards by a Spanish chef, also in the garden. I’m having 3 bridesmaids and my MOH, my FI is having his uncle as Best Man. My father is walking me down the aisle, but we’re not having a first dance, bouquet toss, garter toss, no DJ(having a local spanish guitarist then ipod/speakers later on), no formal speeches, no bridal shower, no stag/hen party, no rehearsal dinner, just all our family & friends at a beautiful location relaxing and enjoying themselves, to be honest a formal traditional massive ‘American’ wedding is my worst nightmare, so we’re having a relaxed Spanish style wedding with good food, music, drinks and company with people we actually like and haven’t just invited to be polite.

Post # 8
245 posts
Helper bee

sfp:  No we’re both Scottish! But we’ve visited Majorca several times a year in the 7 years we’ve been together and we love it, so decided to get married in the town we went on our first ever holiday! Plus the weather is better than Scotland

Post # 9
3016 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2014 - Prague

LudaRae:  It sounds fantastic! Exactly the type of wedding I’d love to attend! 🙂

Post # 11
19 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2015

Yes it sound like it’s very similar. The drunk aunt or uncle is a given 

Ah sounds so nice. Cool you have so much experience with Denmark. I have only been to the Netherlands camping, but from what I’ve experienced it is a lovely place. It’s quite fun to see the many similarities in our cultures also from your description of your wedding. It is fairly close to the modern version of a traditional danish wedding. Though the local etiquette with regards to monetary gifts vs. a registry is still unknown territory, i think it is a mix now a days.

I’m definitely worried about the weather. I chose August as it is the safest month. I will go about it cool as can be, if it rains too bad. We will need nice umbrellas for fotos and the tent has raised floors  it’s all you can do. 

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  DKweddingbee.
Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors