(Closed) Evening Ceremony & Reception. Is This Enough Time?

posted 7 years ago in Reception
  • poll: What Should We Do??
    Ceremony & Reception at the Museum and End Everything at 11 pm : (7 votes)
    27 %
    Ceremony & Reception at the Museum and Continue with an After Party : (14 votes)
    54 %
    Ceremony Only at Museum and Keep Looking for a Later Reception Venue : (5 votes)
    19 %
    Something Else?? (Explain Below) : (0 votes)
  • Post # 3
    Hostess
    23641 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2011

@xx_ambyrr_xx: I certainly hope so!  Our ceremony is slated to start at 6pm, and the whole evening ending at 11pm.  I wanted to keep it short and sweet, and on good days, I feel pretty good about it.  I hear ya about the panic that it won’t be enough time though.  But I think if we plan it out with timelines, everything should be okay!

Post # 4
    518 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2011

That’s pretty short. Most weddings I’ve been to have been evening weddings and they’ve gone 6-12 or 6-12:30. I agree with your FI that you will lose a lot of people between the reception and the after-party.

Post # 6
    1501 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

I think it is enough time.

You say 11pm exit, does that mean you have to have everything cleaned up by 11pm, or just the people have to be out of there. Because if you have to take your decorations and everything out by 11pm, then that may not be enough time as you’d have to be done everything by around 10-10:30pm.

I say this because I was MOH in a wedding and they had to have it cleaned up by 11pm I think it was and tear down started 1.5 hours before, so just as everyone is getting into party mode the party stopped.

Post # 8
    255 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

I’m not sure what happened to the rest of my post! I was going to say reception time tends to vary significantly by region, so you should consider what is typical regarding where you live, and how long you want your wedding to be in comparison.

In Northern California where I live many venues had 4 or 5 hour time frames including ceremony and reception, however I’m from Ontario and I think the party is just getting going after 4 or 5 hours!  Many brides local to me here (and many bees) have said that they would want to have alone time with their husbands by that time, however I want to celebrate with my friends and family as long as I can!

Given that you are in Canada, I’d consider moving it to an afterparty somewhere nearby!

Post # 9
    5668 posts
    Bee Keeper

You may lose people going to an afterparty, but the partiers and close friends would make it. It may be a more intimate and fun continuance of the reception.

Post # 11
    724 posts
    Busy bee

Our wedding is at the same location, and it goes from 6 to 11:30, which is almost the same time as yours. And this is including dinner. Dinner takes up the most amount of time.

What I would do is list out all the things you want to have happen: bouquet toss, cutting of the cake, father/daughter dance. Plot out about how much time each one will take, and then see how much time you have left over for dancing. Most people will be fine with 1.5-2 hours of dancing, which is from 9-11. Assuming that your ceremony actually starts at 6:45 (if things run late), and end at 7:15, that still gives you 1 hour and 45 minutes to do the dances and cake cutting and bouquet toss. None of which take much time and ALL of them can be done while guests are eating and drinking.

So yes, I think you have enough time. Can you have more time? Yes. But I do think you have enough time.

Post # 12
    321 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

Mines is a ceremony and a dinner reception in the same venue from 5PM to 10:30PM as entertainment must end by 10:30.  If its more like a cocktail reception then that should be fine..

Post # 13
    23 posts
    Newbee

I attended a wedding last weekend that was similar – ceremony at 5:30 and everything ended at 10 PM.  On one hand, it was fine – plenty of time for cocktails, (long) dinner, some wedding traditions and some dancing.  On the other hand, when they called last dance, it felt like the party just started.  Everyone shuttled back to the hotel where the couple had an after party (cash bar) and surprisingly, the vast majority of guests went, at least to make an appearance (the good friends and immediate family stayed for hours).  If you have the option of the after party, I think you’re fine with the ceremony/reception time – plus it might save you money with a 4 vs. 5 hour event.

Post # 14
    256 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

Yes it is plenty of time!  Our wedding started at 6:00….Coctail hour was at 6:30, Reception started at 7:30 and it ended at 11:00. 

It was perfect….by 11:00 people were tired and starting to leave anyway….So, no worries, everything will be great!  Good luck Smile

Post # 15
    132 posts
    Blushing bee

I’m actually planning something similar for my wedding.  We are renting a local museum for the ceremony.  We will be starting at 6.  Luckily for us, there is a reception venue attached to the museum that is owned by the city.  Rental still isn’t much later than 11 though, I think we have to be done by midnight or something.  We are probably going to have an afterparty type thing, but I’m thinking for most people that is plenty of time. 

Post # 16
    255 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

With a timeline that tight, are you able to do your wedding photos before the ceremony?  Otherwise you may have difficulty fitting it all in there.  Most of the couples I photograph will choose a first look in the afternoon, as well as having their family and wedding party photos done prior to the ceremony.  That leaves all the time afterward to enjoy their friends and family instead of rushing around doing photos.  I realize you didn’t specifically mention photos, but I am assuming you will want some done in there somewhere.  🙂

The topic ‘Evening Ceremony & Reception. Is This Enough Time?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors