(Closed) Ex-BF sold my life for $100,000… need help!!

posted 8 years ago in Relationships
Post # 3
2398 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I’d ask for a copy of the script and, if necessary, consult a lawyer.  It may be that, in order for his screenplay to be produced, he’ll need you to sign a contract giving him permission to use your life story.

Post # 4
6661 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

Well as long as you only inspired this character then I think there’s nothing really you can do. You didn’t provide any input or help him write it so the screenplay is his.

Post # 5
7975 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

Agree with teaandtoast 100% – keep that email, and any other documented writing (emails, etc) that you have from when you were together and he was working on it to “prove” it’s you and your life story.

Post # 6
389 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

You said he’s a loser. Are you sure he really did sell the screen play? He could just be lying.

Post # 7
466 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Yikes.  I would be shell-shocked, too, if I were you.  But just to try to make you feel better, I’m going to play devil’s advocate here – I think it’s kind of cool!  What if the movie is a huge hit?  Then they interview your ex and he talks about how you inspired the movie.  Then everyone is knocking on your door, wanting to talk to you, and wanting to give you great parts in movies, TV shows, and plays!!!  You’ll be a sensation!

Post # 8
1927 posts
Buzzing bee

I do agree that you should ask for a copy of the screen play and contact a lawyer.  If this is YOUR life story too you are entitled to compensation to sell the rights.

Post # 9
7779 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

I also agree with teaadntoast. Document and consult a lawyer. Im pretty sure he needs your permission to use your life story, even if it’s only “inspired by”.

Post # 10
1995 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I suppose it may not be that bad.  a. it might not actually get made into anything – get lost in the shuffle for something better. and b. probably will get edited – a lot.  It’s not like you have to tell anyone its about you and unless it becomes something nationally famous you won’t have to worry about it.

I’d just ask ex bf to keep you updated on any major happenings with it.

Post # 11
1030 posts
Bumble bee

Sadly, this kind of reminds me of what happened with “Eat, Pray, Love” (which, as an aside, I loved.. just reminds me of this situation). She left her husband and got divorced and yadda yadda, and I’m pretty sure he got ZILCH after the book made millions, and had no input as to whether or not she wrote about him, or was played by Billy Crudup in a movie.

So.. my best advice to you.. try to roll with the punches and know that when people go see said movie/play, they will KNOW that his story is being told from his perspective, and in no way reflects poorly on you as a real person at all. I think that Liz Gilbert’s husband actually wrote his own book in ‘response’ to hers. But from what it sounds like, you were the heroine in the relationship, not the villian, so chances are how you are portrayed won’t be so bad.. just a bummer you’re likely not entitled to any of that cash.

Good luck!

Post # 12
769 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2010

I’m not sure if this will make you feel better or not, but TONS of scripts are sold, yet very few actually make it to production.  There is a big chance that the script won’t go anywhere after this.

Post # 13
2867 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Even if he DID sell it – that doesn’t mean it’ll be produced or that it’ll ever actually make it anywhere where you’ll see it.

I think your legal rights will be dependent on how much the character mimicks you (if it’s obvious it’s you) and how much of the story is true. If there’s a lot changed you might have a hard time proving it.

Post # 15
966 posts
Busy bee

I wrote a story based on an “ex” (that’s in quotes because the guy was gay and keeping it under wraps.  I wasn’t ready to date again after a break-up, and was tired of my mom’s harassment.  My SO has a fun time trying to figure out what is based on fact and what is fiction.)  If the name is different et al, I don’t think you really have rights here.  It’s based on his life too.  And it’s fiction – it will always remain fiction.  Sorry I can’t be more uplifting…

Post # 16
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Sounds like he used you as a muse and then twisted everything up a bit.

At the same time….he’s spent a LOT of energy since you guys broken up writing and thinking about you and this story. Bleh. I guess i’d be more irked by the idea of an ex thinking so much about me after a break up!!!!!

But heck, maybe you’ll be famous. And then maybe you’ll be on TV to tell “your” story. And then maybe you’ll get some acting parts =]

The topic ‘Ex-BF sold my life for $100,000… need help!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors