Post # 1
… in frustration.
I’ve had my heart set on a particular reception location for over a year now – even before my guy and I were “officially official”. I went with my FMIL to speak with the event coordinator over three weeks ago and felt like things were coming together. When we left I was told that I would have a quote by the middle of the week. I was excited and started counting my chickens.
Well we all know how that goes.
The day before the quote was due I received a email asking for more time – no problem. Friday works just as well as Wednesday.
Two weeks has passed since without a single word.
This past weekend the guy and I had a discussion about the situation. Feeling as if you’re not a priority is never a good thing. Feeling like your wedding isn’t a priority severely sucks. As much as it broke my heart we decided that we’re going to have to give up on this location.
Monday I sent the venue coordinator a email.
“Good afternoon, When we met on June 19, 2010 it was my understanding that you would be sending me a menu proposal based on our discussion about a cocktail reception for October 1, 2011. I have not yet received that proposal. While I understand that you are busy I am concerned that it has been over three weeks since our meeting – and over two weeks since I last heard from you – and I still do not have this information. Your facility has been my first choice for my reception for over a year – before I was even “officially” engaged. I envisioned a cozy, intimate event in a beautiful location with great food & wonderful service – and I was confident your facility could deliver that. That you have been unable to fufill even this early step in the booking process is very discouraging, especially since you chose the date that you would contact me by and the extension time frame. I know that the events that are happening now are your top concern but I do not feel as if my event is any kind of priority to you. As a business person this is concerning – as a bride it is painful. Another of the reasons that I wanted to go with ~insert name of venue here~ is that I was sure that I would recieve personal attention from the event coordinator & chef rather than being treated as “one of the masses”. I have lost that confidence. I know that you are not in your office today – and I am sure you had a busy weekend. I am also aware that last weekend was a holiday – and I’m sure that added more to your busy schedule. However, I do not feel that any of these reasons justify this situation. This email is not meant to insult or anger – merely to express my disappointment and to let you know that we will not be using your facility for our event. With best regards,
“Not a problem Serya, I was not only discussing the information with our Chef, but also contacting distributors and waiting for them to respond with information on pricing of specific things that you requested. You also mentioned that if I had any other things I could recommend to do so and I was working on those ideas as well. I was trying to make your dreams come to reality with everything that we had discussed and keep you in the budget but deliver an amazing reception to wow your guests. Best of luck to you and sorry that it took so long for numerous people to try and make your day wonderful.”
This just makes me want to scream.
Am I wrong in thinking that this is ridiculous? Or am I being a over-emotional basketcase?
P.S. I just realized how long this is… Sorry.
Post # 3
I htink you made the right decision about not moving forward with that venue. Her email was just meant to try to take the blame off of her and make you feel guilty for questioning her customer service. Even if everything that she said was true, there is no reason that she should not have remained in contact with you and let you know exactly what was holding up her process.
Post # 4
Well, honestly, I don’t know how busy that venue can be but it is wedding season (so they could be very, very busy) and your wedding isn’t until a Friday night, 15 months away. If you hadn’t heard from them in two weeks, you probably could have just given a follow-up, reminder call. It’s not the first time you’re going to have to do it in wedding planning.
My wedding is in 3 weeks, and I can’t get in touch with the venue without a week turn-around! I understand the frustration.
Post # 5
- Wedding: January 2011 - Vintage Villas
Her response was actually kind of rude, I think. THEY are the ones who told you they’d get back to you within a few days, and if they couldn’t make that deadline, they should have contacted you and explained why. It’s not fair of them to try to make you feel guilty for wanting prompt responses.
Post # 6
I’m sorry you’re feeling so frustrated! Perhaps maybe you’re being a tiny bit too emotional? I can’t blame you because I’d probably be the same way about a venue I adore as much as you do. The response from the coordinator was professional and sincere…You could think of it as her and other vendors working extra long and hard on making your day unique and exactly what you want – how great is that? 🙂
Any chance you can convince your future-husband to distract you with fun things over the next week to give the coordinator the time she apparently needs?
Post # 7
I agree. MOVE ON to a different venue. My wedding isnt for 4 months and in the middle of wedding season my venue ALWAYS emails me back within an hour!
Post # 8
I actually thought her response was not professional at all. I work in events, and if I tell someone I am going to do something, I do it by that date. If I can’t, I will let them know. It doesn’t take two weeks to get pricing from a purveyor or your chef, that is just BS.
If it is wedding season, she should know how busy she is, and whether or not she can fulfill her own promises.
You made the right choice. I’d forward her message to her boss.
Post # 9
You’re not being overemotional. McGroom and I had a problem booking our venue, but he really wanted it, so we did it. Granted, we have a super short engagement compared to yours (4.5 months), but we’re having so many problems with them that we haven’t even looked at honeymoons and our wedding is about a month away. Aak. I say good choice.
Post # 10
Honestly, her response was fine, and she is most likely telling the truth. There are so many aspects that have to come together from rental people, the chef, etc… She probably WAS waiting on other proposals (and some people may have been waiting on info from her as well to put one together). Honestly, you are probably going to encounter this with other venues. It can be frustrating, but sometimes as a bride we have to stay on top of vendors. That’s one reason having a coordinator is helpful. Also, for us, all WE think about is x,y,z. Vendors are thinking about past clients, current clients, future clients, and balancing all of that in the busiest wedding month of the year does take it’s toll… especially in regards to communication.
The best thing, would have been if she called you to tell you she didn’t have all the quotes back yet.
The 2nd best thing would have been another gentle reminder that you need to select a venue, want it to be hers, and need to make a decision.
Option 3, was to move on because you didn’t feel right.. and that’s fine. I think your letter was fine, I think hers was mostly fine… perhaps your more emotional because you are so invested in this venue you kind of feel like you should have given them more time?
Bottom line, they weren’t fulfilling your needs, and something way better is out there. Don’t dwell on what “could” be… look at what is amazing ahead of you.
Post # 11
A simple phone call on her end would have alleviated this situation altogether. If this is her standard MO (lack of communication), you are saving yourself many headaches by terminating this relationship. I’m sure you will find another location that will make your dreams a reality.
Post # 12
YES! SOO rude!!! I mean, you were VERY nice and calm in your email to them so I think it was very unprofessional of her. I am a bad person so I would totally contact a higher up in the company and tell them your griefs and what she said and then blast them on all the rating websites…. but that’s just me. I think sometimes subtle rudeness is more frustrating and rude that outright rudeness. She should have said something along the lines of, “I’m so sorry that we took so long to get back to you. This has been unexcusable and I completely understand your frustration. If there’s anything we can do to keep you as a client, such as a 20% discount on the rental, please let us know. We will keep your date reserved for 2 weeks in case you change your mind. And if you don’t, we wish you success in finding a venue that will make your dream wedding reception a reality. Again, we are so sorry for causing you so much distress amidst hectic wedding planning.” I mean, you might have changed your mind if they completely tried to fix it. But instead she just ailienated you and tried to make you feel stupid! Good for you for standing up for yourself!
Post # 13
Her response was rediculous. I mean she didn’t even try to save you as a future customer. As if filling the date on their calendar was not important, even if your wedding is 15 months away. I am sorrry you are starting over again. I understand what it is to wait for venues to give you information, I went through the same thing. However, every venue I contact sent me, at the very least, their general menu, services, and packages so I could get an idea of what they had to offer and at what price. This way niether of us waste time. The vendor can move on to someone else and I can move on to another vendor if they didnt have what we needed. Goodluck with your search. You made the right decision.
Post # 14
I’m sorry you’re frustrated but I would move on if I were you. You dont want to deal with people who start off bad, it just makes for bad business for you and un easy feelings for the rest of the time. dont worry, I think things will turn out beautiful once you pick a new location.
Post # 15
her response was very unprofessional. she was trying to place blame on “you and your demands” without recognizing that she did not hold up her end of the bargain.
run not walk away from this venue.
if this is a problem even before you give them any $$ or have solid plans this will only get worse once they get paid.
be happy you are finding out now and not a month prior to your wedding. Forward the email to her boss (along with your original email) some people should NOT be in the business of working with customers let alone brides!
Post # 16
I am undecided how I feel about this– whether I think you jumped the gun on calling her out or not. On the one hand- it was bad on her part to say she’d get back to you by a particular date, 2 weeks go by and still no communication… Though, on the other hand, considering that she was working on an actual quote– and it sounds like you have lots of different things and different people she would need to get information from before being able to finalize that quote– I’m pretty sure that these things can sometimes take some time (especially if she is waiting to hear back from other people in return). That on top of it being the biggest season for weddings at the moment. I think you probably should have sent her a follow up email asking what the status of the quote was sometime during those two weeks after she said she needed some more time. Maybe you dismissed her and the venue too quickly. I do feel that her response was a little rude but maybe she also thought that your response was rude if she had been activly working on getting your quote finalized. If you wanted to patch up this situation and still go with this venue I think that may still be an option for you if you want. But if you want to just go with someone else because you think they are incompetent or treated you disrespectfully that would be a valid choice as well. I guess it depends on how much you want this place (It sounded like you wanted it a lot). Honestly, I guess my feeling is that she didn’t really do anything too out of bounds– she probably should have contacted you sometime in those 2 weeks seeing that she was late getting you your quote even after her extension time… thought I also think maybe you should have checked in with her for the status of things since she had already mentioned things were going to take longer than she expected… 🙁 Good luck with which ever venue you chose to go with!!