Exotic honeymoon destination – $4000 or less total?

posted 3 years ago in Honeymoons
Post # 3
352 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

@Bri1o:  Mexico…:) Tulum. Go see the baby turtles make their way to sea

Post # 4
3978 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

@Bri1o:  I know the Dominican Republic is getting up there like Mexico in terms of popularity, but you can find some resorts that are smaller and less off the beaten path.

Post # 5
10219 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

Travel Nut here… Mr TTR & I are semi-retired, and able to travel quite a bit.

As a Canadian (I assume based on your Avatar), you’ll find you can get good deals for AIs in Mexico – Cuba – Dominican Republic – and Jamaica

The thing is there are deals because all of these places have issues… be they political, economic or social… so in order to attract the much needed tourist dollars they build AIs and offer good prices.

The truth is in many of these places this isn’t going to be a world like the one you have at home… none of these are 1st World Countries… and at least one is 3rd World.

Safety is also a major factor… so if you are the type who likes to explore, you might want to think twice of going beyond the resort unless it is on a Resort Organized Tour

Not to say that the resorts are nice, cause many of them are… just that they are sort of Disney-like existence, where you are in an isolated world (walled, and often armed guards) seperating you from the rest of the locals.

For me, that isn’t a reality that I want any part of…

AIs elsewhere in the Caribbean are going to be more costly because those Islands don’t require this type of accommodations solely to attract tourists… consequently there is a lot more to choose from on each island (ie Aruba, Barbados, Antigua, Turks & Caicos, The Bahamas etc)

Personally, I prefer to spend my own vacation dollars in places like those… or Florida (the whole state is gorgeous… and a lot less less expensive than the Caribbean… and yet The Keys have pretty much the same vibe)…

Or we go on a cruise…

Mr TTR and I have done several cruises now… and some can be quite similar to the benefits of an AI Holiday (several cruise lines now offer Beverage Packages)… with the BONUS of waking up each day in a new Country / Island to explore.  And nothing beats the pampering to be found on a decent cruise ship.

For $ 4000 all in, you could definitely do Florida, the Bahamas, or a Caribbean Cruise.  You’d probably need to raise your Budget to go to other Caribbean places because of high cost of airfare.

Hope this helps,

Post # 6
348 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2014 - Twin Oaks Garden House

COSTA RICA!!! and they have allll inclusive!

Post # 7
88 posts
Worker bee

I vote Turks and Caicos… Depending on the time of year, it can be affordable.  We went in June and while it was hot, there was a constant breeze, all the time and it was gorgeous!  The island is relatively safe and Grace Bay is amazing. We were able to walk from our hotel on the beach to other hotels and were able to go out to local restaurants.  There was no begginpeople ole coming up to us on the beach to try and sell us things. We booked a vacation through JetBlue and for airfare and 5 nights at a decent hotel, it cost us about $1500-1600 for the both of us.  We went on excursions and went out to dinner most nights but still stayed below well below $4000.

Post # 8
300 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

the west end of negril is exotic look up the resorts at the cliffs and rock areas.  You can stay right on the clifs and they have caves you can swim into.  I was just here in April

Post # 9
300 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I Forgot to say this is Jamaica  

Post # 10
6812 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2014

For $4k, you can definitely do a week at a very nice all inclusive, if that’s what you’re looking for.

I know you said no to Mx – but is there a reason why? I used to say I would never do Mx until I did it (Riviera Maya) and it was amazing (I would highly recommend doing a snorkeling excursion and going to the cenotes – we did snorkeling, cenotes, ziplining and cliff diving all in 1 tour for like $65 each). We stayed at the Valentin Imperial, it’s adults only and the best vacation either of us ever had. And.. there were no armed guards lol.. maybe that’s in Cuba?

We are now planning our destination wedding at Paradisus Palma Real in Punta Cana, DR. I would recommend looking at Punta Cana because like Mx, there are some really great deals on AIs.

I’ve been to South Beach, FL, several times as well as the Bahamas. Both are lovely – South Beach isn’t somewhere I would consider for a honeymoon personally (a vacation, maybe). The Bahamas are wonderful and I would probably do something in one of the out islands (check out Shannah’s Cove on tripadvisor – FI and I have been wanting to do that for a while).

My friends did Costa Rica and hated the beaches there, so it depends if you’re going for the beach or for the adventure. Costa Rica has a lot of adventurous activities.

I’ve heard great things about Aruba. Turks & Caicos is going to be more expensive.

My advice is pick your honeymoon dates and then search flights first. See where the cheapest flights are – narrow it down to the 2 cheapest destinations – and then go on tripadvisor.com and see what resorts you can find for prices that are reasonable. That’s how we did the Riviera Maya and we got an amazing deal on it. We searched for hours every day, but it all worked out to have a 5-star AI vacation at $2100 for the both of us for 6 nights.

Good luck!

Post # 11
6273 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

look on groupon, livingsocial, and expedia for travel deals.

Post # 12
433 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

@Bri1o:  I went to the Iberostar Laguna Azul in Cuba a couple years ago for my brother’s wedding and it was really nice!

Post # 13
313 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@Bri1o:  I will be honeymooning in  Turks & Caicos. We don’t really love AI, so we are staying at a small, old hotel right on the beach in grace bay. We rented a beachfront apt and it is amazing!!!! We are planning to have dinner out every night, but will be grilling, preparing meals  in our kitchen, as there is a grocery down the road. Our flights were pricey, but we will be in the 4k range after everything. PM me if you need more details!

Post # 14
1992 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

Commenting to follow. 

Post # 15
3199 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

@Bri1o:  we’re doing st lucia, though i dont know exactly what you mean by ‘exotic’. we’re paying about $3500 total for 5 nights.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors