Post # 1
Darling Husband and I are in the process of putting my house on the market, which is where we live now to buy a new home together. A couple of weeks ago we interviewed a few realtors and picked the one that we liked best to be our agent. The trouble is that I’m already frustrated with him. When we talked to him last weekend, he told us that we’d be listed within a week and that he’d be sure to get an appointment for us to go look at new places right away. A week later, neither has happened. When I asked about looking at new places he told us that he’s already booked for this weekend, but can schedule us in two weeks. We’re not listed yet because his photographer pushed back our appointment and we haven’t received any of the paperwork to fill out. My view is that we’re paying this person to perform a service for us, so it should be up to him to keep things moving on a timely basis and to communicate with us if there will be delays. Is this unreasonable? Am I expecting too much, or is this what others have experienced?
Post # 3
Did you sign a contract? If not, i’d start looking for a new agent again. I’d find that pretty unacceptable.
Post # 4
@crayfish: No, we’re waiting on a contract (and photos) to get listed!
Post # 5
@Ms. Kitty: It sounds like he’s too busy. My 1st realtor I was told was great, but she was super busy… so busy she asked ME questions about the houses we looked at & was always late & it always took a few days to meet with her at a house (a few weeks would not be okay with me!). I fired her & went with someone else. My 2nd realtor was awesome, she made time for me, got back to me right away always, she told me things I didn’t even know to ask about the houses & she found my house (knew it would be a good match even though I passed over it on her list). All that to say, the difference between the two was amazing & changed my experience. I was in a hurry too, as I would’ve been homeless & also had a deadline for the $8k first time homebuyer credit back in 2010.
Also a few houses I looked at, I think my 2nd realtor had put either a 24 or 48 hour response time to accept my offer. That’s only 2 days! If the selling agent was too busy than I wouldn’t get a response in time & would likely already be putting in another offer on a different house.
I would go with someone else who has time for you. 2 weeks just seems like forever!
Post # 6
@Ms. Kitty: find someone else since you haven’t signed a contract.
Post # 7
- Wedding: September 2011 - Baby boy 12/2015
I would find someone else. We sort of fired our first one because we were a little impatient, and wanted to move in the process a little faster. Basically, as buyers, we were looking for someone that was excited to get is in a house asap. No exceptions! I even told him we were testing him, which came accross as a joke but we were serious. We ended up staying with him, and he knew we “fired” the other one.
Post # 8
I’d find a new realtor. Two weeks is ridiculously long to wait to see a house IMO.
Post # 9
I agree, no contract means you’re free to move on!