Post # 1
My entire extended family is planning a vacation to a cabin in Minnesota next summer. We haven’t told anyone we’re pregnant yet and the confirmation deadline is approaching! My due date is June 26, so at most the baby will be one month old. We’re not sure what to do. Would you go and take your newborn or stay at home? My husband is worried we’ll keep everyone up at night with a crying baby!!!
Post # 3
I’d stay home unless we had our own cabin. (my baby is 2 months old)
Post # 4
I’m not a mom, but I have a lot of friends who have babies….and this just does not sounds like a good idea. I would just stay at home, your going to be so tired and probably won’t want to do anything but sleep anyways. Good luck in whatever decision you make. 🙂
Post # 5
I would stay home, I have a 7 week old at home and no way would I travel to far with him. He is up several times to eat at night and he is a loud cryier!
Post # 6
Do you have to decide in advance?
I’d stay home anyway. First of all, we were pretty picky about having our baby girl away from lots of people until she had her 2 month shots. So just in case someone was sick I wouldn’t want her stuck in a cabin with a bunch of people.
And you’re right about sleep, the baby most likely won’t be sleeping through the night yet and that’s not fun for anybody. Especially since you’re in a different place, you never know how the baby will react.
Post # 7
Oh, if this was me, I think I would have to chose to stay at home. I remember my son’s first month, and for me I loved all that time we had for eachother, that’s something that will never come back. Practically, I believe that as long as you are comfortable and your child feels it, your set to chose what you think is fit and what you are comfortable with. You will need to get to know your childsroutines, and so forth, might not be an easy thing while away and getting to know eachother. There might be some bumps on the road but keeping everything simple is a good formula for what you may chose.
You will probably have that cabin or other cabins in years to come. I’ld say wait for the next summer after 2012. I think it’s more fun for both you and kiddo.
Post # 8
I think it depends on the specifics of the trip. It’s hard to know now if you’ll want to go or not.
We traveled to FL for my sister’s wedding when DS was 5 weeks old. We stayed with my parents in a guest apartment. We didn’t have a choice to go or not, but it was not as hard as I thought it would be. DS was up about 2-3 times a night then, but I could nurse and change him and then he’d go back to sleep. DS was a pretty easy baby.
Is there anyway that you can decide later? If not, I’d probably err on the conservative side and say no for next year. But if you can decide later or say yes and back out later without much cost to you, then I would keep the option open. You don’t get those early weeks back, but I really enjoyed going to the wedding. Plus I had tons of family there to help when needed.
Post # 9
We drove 11 + hours to NY to my sisters graduation when my son was 4 weeks old. We stayed in a house with all of my siblings, my parents and my grandparents. We also took him on our extended family beach vacation when he was 6 weeks old. Both times it was really nice to have our parents and sibilings around helping out. I was worried about him crying and keeping people up, but my Mother-In-Law pointed out that your babies crying affects you differently than it does other people. No one complained about him and everyone was glad to have him there and to get a chance to know him better. I’d try to keep the option open if you can, but if you are going to lose a lot of money by changing your mind later then I’d probably say no.
Post # 10
I would choose not to go. I have c-sections and I was still in a bit of pain at that point. The baby will be fine with either choice. When they are that young they just want to eat and sleep. I would be concerned with how you would feel
Post # 11
If this is your first baby, I would err on the side of caution and decline the invite this time. Everyone has a different experience, and you just don’t know how you’ll be doing (physically, emotionally, etc…) that soon after birth; not to mention the baby could always come later than your due date, making the trip even more difficult.
Post # 12
i would opt out of this. I know for me I was no where near ready to travel with my newborn at a month out. I was still healing and adjusting and needed all the rest I could get. Plus the baby is still so little to travel like that IMO. the crying baby would be the least of my worries. I guess this differs from family to family but At a month we were just starting to be ok with taking him out to normal places, let alone to travel. But again, to each hisher own, this is just my thoughts on it 😉
Post # 13
Stay home. Bond with your new little one. You’ll want time to adjust to your new family status. 🙂 Besides, most first babies are two weeks late. 😉