Face lift ides for this 1950's home?

posted 3 years ago in Home
Post # 3
810 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

I would definitely get rid of the awnings. Then I would get some really cute shutters and window boxes.

A new garage door probably as well.

A light yellow could be really cute. I think that blue would be great too, like you were saying.

You said that you have no clue what the landscaping looks like, but I think that flower gardens on either side of the front steps would be adorable with a low fence, or edging of some sort around it.

Post # 4
1113 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

If it was me, I would definitely lose the awnings, and the reddish steps and rails. I would put in wood. Ive beenreally into like a dark grey with black shutters and white trim thing lately, so I would probably go with those colors. And would have shutters on all the windows, now just the one. Also, new door for sure! My neighbor put in a new front door and it just updated the entire house!! I would probably replace the garage door too, or at least paint it. And once there is no snow I would definitely plant some things and make it pretty!!  if I painted it dark grey I would be sure to plant lots of pretty red flowers.     I totally need ro buy a house. Haha. Mr. Fish had to hold me back yesterday in target from buying a whole new rug, curtains, throw pillows and wall art. But I want to update my living room!!! Lol. 

Post # 5
2512 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

@crisy003:  We have a small older home too, which also had stupid ugly awnings on it (although very practical here in OK for keeping hail from breaking the windows, but I digress lol) & it made a world of difference to take them down. We then took down those cheap plastic shutters (are yours the plastic kind?) & hubby made some “cottage” looking wooden ones, which I painted white. 

As far as paint goes, I think you could do just about any color scheme. Like PP said, the gray, white, black combo might look good. If you do that, you could even get a bright red door! Or you could do a similar combo with different colors. 

I would definately repaint those red concrete stairs also. That will help a lot!

Post # 6
4382 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I agree  lose the awnings 

Post # 7
42076 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

If a window has shutters they need to be wide enough to appear that the two of them would actually cover the window.

What I would do with the awnings depends on how badly they are needed where you ive for heat and sun regulation. There certainly are more modern versions.

I would paint the house grey with white trim with a darker grey for the shutters and a pop of color for the front door- red or black.

I would paint the garage the same color as the house including the door. Right now the garage door is the largest surface area of one color. Iwould not want the garage door to be the focal point.

Down the road, I would build a porch that goes right over the existing stairs and  across the front of the house, with wide steps and pillars.

Post # 8
1785 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Awenings- gone

window boxes under the front windows with some bright colored flowers OR flowering shrubs in the front two sections on either side of the porch to cover the brick. 

Have you thought about a nice yellow siding? Yellow tends to go well with both brown and grey roofing depending on what you are selecting for that. And it would look great with white trim and a brightly colored door, either red or slightly maroon/purple red. 

Post # 9
191 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

My house was also built in 1951 so I feel ya on the updating!  No advice to offer as we’re also trying to figure out how to update our exterior which is mustard yellow 🙁

Post # 10
375 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

@crisy003:  a few things.  I’d get rid of the awnings on the windows, but probably leave the covering above the door.  I’d paint the steps a more neutral color.  I don’t love the railing, but I cant think of a better option (wood or a different metal shape wouldn’t really make it better IMO), and you’ll probably have to keep it up for safety reasons.  However, if you added some higher bushes or hedges, it’ll make the railing less noticeable.  

Depending on the roof color, I’d stick with something a bit more nuetral.  I actually like the color of the existing shutter.  You may want to add shutters if you remove the awnings.  I think with some landscaping and some paint, this could totally be updated!  Post pics 🙂

Post # 11
4645 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Congrats!! It’s really cute! We have a 1941 house in Minnesota. :o) I’m with everyone, lose the awnings, red stairs, and rails. You’ll have to legally keep some sort of rail, but it could be updated. And trust me, we have all the same problems. Lol! Awnings, rails… LOVE my little house, though!

Post # 12
356 posts
Helper bee

@crisy003:  I agree with everyone and say get rid of the awnings and put up shutters. I’d paint it a light/medium olive green, paint the steps a dark brown and have white trim around the windows.  You could line the side walk with some small flowers and mulch.

Post # 15
356 posts
Helper bee

@crisy003:   like this…. its not overly green, and its still neutral!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors