(Closed) Fall 2013 wedding, I have my dress…….

posted 6 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
3369 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

I was told to use a bag that allows the dress to breathe… but only do that if you’ve got a smoke-free environment.

Post # 5
3369 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

The little holes might be enough…

If I were you, I’d just call the salon and get their advice.  🙂  Put your mind at ease!

Post # 7
120 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I heard that airtight materials will hasten the “yellowing” effect.  My dress from salon is hanging at home in a “breathable” zip up bag and the lady that is making my veil recommends a breathable material as well. Here is a link to her website, which contains a snippet of info on breathable storage bags:

http://www.occanseydesigns.com/veilclip.html

Hope this helps!

Post # 8
1132 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Agree with PP, My wedding isn’t until June 2013, but I already have my dress because of moving logistics and I found a dress I love early on. Mine is in a breathable cloth bag.

Post # 9
204 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

hi

i bought my dress in April & get married in december so have researched this subject a lot.

I read that the best way to store is in an acid free box with acid free tissue paper. I got one from Ebay for about £15. Definately don’t store items in a plastic bag as the chemicals can cause the materials to discolour.

The breathable bags from boutique are ok but hanging the dress for a long period can cause some stress to the seams (apparently!). I’m probably being over cautious but I better safe than sorry. Hope this helps

Post # 11
345 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

breathable bag, which you’ll probably find is what you already have as Bridal Shops normally issue these with the dresses

Also if the dress has sleeves or straps make sure you hang it by the ribbon hangers inside the dress, they are there to support the dress, I hung mine by the dress straps and the shape changed slightly, fabric has a memory, so has to be hung right, Thankfully my Aunty who is a seamstress spotted mine was hanging wrong, so has corrected it, and am hoping that the shape will go back to how it was before, it’s nothing major, more of a minor irritating thing.

Post # 14
1279 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I bought my dress already too – 2013 bride!! I have mine in a garment bag I purchased off ebay for $16 and it’s laying flat on a bed in our guest bedroom. Most people, in articles I read about preservation, recommend keeping it away from sunlight. Personally, I think it may be better lying flat then hanging in the closet.

I also made my own sash with silver crystals. This I have noticed is changing color, even in a ziplock bag, so, I stuck in a dresser drawer out of the sun. Hopefully that saves it because I worked a lot of hours on my sash.

Yay – before you know it – we will be wearing our dresses!!!! 🙂

The topic ‘Fall 2013 wedding, I have my dress…….’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors